Calculating Tension and Friction in a Pulley System

In summary, the problem involves two masses, 0.750kg and 0.52kg, with a frictional force of 2.1 N and a gravitational force of 9.8 N. The goal is to find the tension in the string, which is represented by T, but the given solution of 4.2 N does not match the calculated value. To solve the problem, you need to draw a diagram showing the forces acting on each object and use two equations to calculate the acceleration and tension in the string.
LiFK
Pulley Tension friction help??

Homework Statement

6533043261_33117fa1e7.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72384417@N06/6533043261/ by LiFK1, on Flickr

Mass1 = 0.750 kg
Mass2 = 0.52 kg
Fk=2.1 N
g= 9.8 N

Homework Equations

F=ma
Mass1(gravity)= (Mass1+mass2)Acceleration
T + m2g - fk = (m1 + m2)a

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass1(gravity)= (Mass1+mass2)Acceleration
7.35=(0.750kg+0.52kg)A
5.787 N = A

T + m2g - fk = (m1 + m2)a
T + 0.52kg(9.8)-2.1=1.27(5.78)
T = 4.35 N
rounded up T = 4.4N

Apparently the answer to this is 4.2 N, but i can't seem to get it.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You should draw a diagram showing the forces acting on each object.
The weight has 2 forces it's weight = 0.75 x 9.81 and the tension in the string
The cart has 2 forces the tension in the string and friction.
If you look at these 2 situations you should get 2 equations that enable you to calculate the acceleration and the Tension in the string.
Hope this helps.

FAQ: Calculating Tension and Friction in a Pulley System

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over several ropes or cables. By using multiple ropes and changing the direction of the force, a pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object.

3. What is tension in a pulley?

Tension in a pulley refers to the force exerted on the ropes or cables by the weight of the object being lifted. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency of a pulley system.

4. How does friction affect pulley tension?

Friction is a force that resists the movement of objects. In a pulley system, friction between the ropes and the pulley wheel can affect the tension and efficiency of the system. Higher levels of friction can lead to decreased tension and a less efficient system.

5. How can I calculate pulley tension?

Pulley tension can be calculated using the formula T = W x e, where T is tension, W is the weight of the object being lifted, and e is the number of supporting ropes or cables. This formula assumes no friction in the system. If there is friction, the formula becomes T = W x e x μ, where μ is the coefficient of friction.