Calculating Tension and Mass in Static Equilibrium: Are My Methods Correct?

In summary, the first conversation involves a gymnast holding himself in a cross position on high rings with a weight of 720 N. The free-body force diagram shows two upward pulls of the rings on the hands, each with a size of 380 N. The angle between the wires supporting the rings and the vertical is calculated to be 18.7 degrees. In the second conversation, a very heavy sack is hung from a rope and pushed sideways with a force of 220N. The rope is inclined at 18 degrees to the vertical. The tension and mass of the sack are calculated to be 711.93 N and 67.709 kg, respectively. A picture of the first conversation can be found on the PF forum.
Peter G.
1. A gymnast of weight 720 N is holding himself in the cross position on the high rings. He is quite still. A free-body force diagram for the gymnast shows the two upward pulls of the rings on the hands, each, size 380 N. Calculate the angle between the wires supporting the rings and the vertical:

So, the tension on both wires is the same and the angle too, so I assumed that the vertical component of the tension for both wires should be the same, and since the guy is in equilibrium: 720/2 = 360 N.

I then did Inverse Cos (360/380) which is equal to: 18.7 degrees

2. A very heavy sack is hung from a rope and pushed sideways. When the sideways push is 220N the rope supporting the sack is inclined at 18 degrees to the vertical:

Find the Tension and the Mass of the Sack:

So, I recognized that the tension was the hypothenuse of a triangle with angle 18 and opposite side 220N and the mass, the vertical part of the triangle (adjacent to the angle) divided by the pull of gravity:

I got 711.93 N for the tension and (209.23/10) for the Mass.

I am a bit insecure: I'm not sure if my methods/answers are correct.

Any help?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the fbd of both the questions

That I've drawn? Because for the second question there's none, and for the first one there's the picture of the person

I asked to post, not draw. Post it on PF.

There you go.

Attachments

• Attach.jpg
    Attach.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 928
first one is correct.
In second question, tension is correct but mass is wrong.

The method is correct. Check the calculations

Oh, for the mass I should've done: cos 18 x 711.9349551 = 677.0903782 / 10, right? And the other answers are correct? (I ask because I was a bit confused with the fact you posted twice)

Thanks,
Peter G

Yeah, correct

Related to Calculating Tension and Mass in Static Equilibrium: Are My Methods Correct?

1. What is static equilibrium in gymnastics?

Static equilibrium in gymnastics refers to the state in which a gymnast's body remains still and balanced in a specific position without any external forces acting upon it. This is achieved through proper alignment, muscle control, and body awareness.

2. How is static equilibrium achieved in gymnastics?

Static equilibrium is achieved in gymnastics through a combination of factors such as body positioning, muscle strength and control, and precise movements. Gymnasts train extensively to develop the necessary skills and techniques to maintain static equilibrium in various positions.

3. What is the role of the center of mass in static equilibrium?

The center of mass, also known as the center of gravity, is a point in a gymnast's body where the mass is evenly distributed. In static equilibrium, the center of mass must be aligned with the base of support, which is typically the gymnast's feet, in order to maintain balance.

4. How does the size and shape of a gymnast's body affect static equilibrium?

The size and shape of a gymnast's body can play a role in their ability to achieve and maintain static equilibrium. Generally, gymnasts with smaller and more compact bodies have an advantage as they are able to distribute their weight more evenly and have better control over their movements.

5. What are some common mistakes that can disrupt static equilibrium in gymnastics?

Some common mistakes that can disrupt static equilibrium in gymnastics include improper body alignment, lack of muscle control, and poor technique. Additionally, external factors such as equipment malfunctions or unexpected movements from a partner can also disrupt static equilibrium.