Calculating Tension and Reaction Forces in an Overhead Garage Door System

In summary, the conversation discusses the components and setup of a 70 kg overhead garage door. The door consists of a rectangular panel supported by a cable and two sets of frictionless rollers. The rollers have different types of channels for movement. The conversation then asks for the tension in the cable and the reaction at each of the four channels. A possible solution involves calculating the moment around point B and using Fx=0 and Fy=0 to find the answers. However, the person is still seeking clarification and further assistance.
Jaspworld
A 70 kg overhead garage door consists of a uniform rectangular panel AC, 2100 mm high, supported by the cable AE attached at the middle of the upper edge of the door and by two sets of frictionless rollers A and B. Each set consists of 2 rollers located on either side of door. The rollers A are free to move in horizontal channels, while the rollers B are guided by vertical channels. If the door is held in the position for which BD =1050 mm, determine
a.) Tension in cable AE
b.) Reaction at each of the four channels

(For an image go to http://www.freewebsite.0nyx.com/images/garage.bmp Sorry for the crappy image. I made it in paint and by the way, that G is supposed to be W.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts...?

I'm not too sure but..

I think I can calculate the moment around point B and then get the value for A. Then I can let Fx=0 and Fy=0 and get the rest of the answers.

Does this make sense?

Help

How come my thread ended up on the third page! I still need help..

Related to Calculating Tension and Reaction Forces in an Overhead Garage Door System

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a constant state of motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and how they affect its equilibrium.

2. What is the purpose of studying statics in the first year?

The purpose of studying statics in the first year is to lay a foundation for understanding more complex concepts in physics and engineering. It helps students develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities that are essential in these fields.

3. What are some common topics covered in first year statics?

Some common topics covered in first year statics include vector analysis, forces and moments, equilibrium, trusses, and friction. These topics provide a basis for understanding more advanced concepts in mechanics and structural engineering.

4. What are the applications of statics in real life?

Statics has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in structural engineering to design buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in the design of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes. Additionally, statics is essential in understanding the stability of structures and objects, such as furniture or structures during an earthquake.

5. What are some common misconceptions about statics?

One common misconception about statics is that it only deals with objects that are at rest. In reality, statics also applies to objects in a state of constant motion, as long as the forces acting on the object are balanced. Another misconception is that statics is only relevant to engineering and physics. In fact, statics principles can be applied to various fields, such as architecture, geology, and biomechanics.