Calculating tension in an elevator

In summary, the tension in the ropes is the same because the masses are the same and the elevator is going upward.
sweetdaisy186
Hey guys!

I feel like this should be an easy problem...

Two blocks are fastened to the ceiling of an elevator. Each block has a mass of 10 kg. The elevator accelerates upward at 2 m/s^2. Find the tension in each rope.

My prof drew a picture

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    88.6 KB · Views: 927
Physics news on Phys.org
oh whoops, sry I didn't find my question. I thought I could use the T=m*a formula, but that didn't get me the right answer. How do I know which formula to use? Thanks!

Have you considered gravity?

ah! Whoops! I forgot about that! Thanks!

I actually have just about the same problem for an assignment at the moment. The numbers are different, but that doesn't really matter.

I am really stuck.
Since the masses are the same, I am using plain m. Since T=m*a for each rope respectivly, the tension for the top rope should be T=2m*g-2m*a or T=2m(g-a), similarly the tension for the bottom rope would be T=m(g-a).
The problem is, this isn't working.

I am obviously missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

loudgrrl4_ever said:
I actually have just about the same problem for an assignment at the moment. The numbers are different, but that doesn't really matter.

I am really stuck.
Since the masses are the same, I am using plain m. Since T=m*a for each rope respectivly, the tension for the top rope should be T=2m*g-2m*a or T=2m(g-a), similarly the tension for the bottom rope would be T=m(g-a).
The problem is, this isn't working.

I am obviously missing something. Any help would be appreciated.
Is the elevator going upward or downward?
If it is going upward you should add the accelerations, instead of subtracting.

The elevator is going upward. I don't understand why you would add them, however.
That is the correct answer, but since we have a test tomorrow, I want to be sure I understand it much more than get a point on a silly assignment.

Here's how it is playing out in my mind:
A block is being pulled on upwards directly by the elevator, and downwards by gravity. How does the tension use both of those forces in the same direction?
Thanks for your help :)

loudgrrl4_ever said:
The elevator is going upward. I don't understand why you would add them, however.
That is the correct answer, but since we have a test tomorrow, I want to be sure I understand it much more than get a point on a silly assignment.

Here's how it is playing out in my mind:
A block is being pulled on upwards directly by the elevator, and downwards by gravity. How does the tension use both of those forces in the same direction?
Thanks for your help :)
Do the balance of forces in the mass. You have mg pulling down and T pulling up, The vectorial sum is ma in the up direction. So, T - mg = ma and T = mg + ma.

FAQ: Calculating tension in an elevator

1. What is tension in an elevator?

Tension in an elevator refers to the force exerted by the elevator's cables or ropes that support the elevator car and its passengers. It is the force that prevents the elevator from falling due to gravity.

2. How is tension calculated in an elevator?

Tension in an elevator can be calculated by using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the elevator and its passengers, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. This equation takes into account both the weight of the elevator and the acceleration it experiences.

3. How does the weight of the elevator affect the tension?

The weight of the elevator affects the tension by increasing the force required to lift the elevator. As the weight of the elevator increases, the tension in the cables or ropes also increases to counteract the force of gravity and keep the elevator in equilibrium.

4. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the tension?

The acceleration of the elevator also affects the tension by either increasing or decreasing it. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, the tension in the cables or ropes will increase to counteract the additional force of acceleration. If the elevator is accelerating downwards, the tension will decrease as the force of gravity is partially offset by the acceleration.

5. Why is it important to calculate tension in an elevator?

Calculating tension in an elevator is important for ensuring the safety and proper functioning of the elevator. If the tension is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the elevator's components and potentially cause damage or malfunction. If the tension is too low, the elevator may not be able to support its weight and could potentially fall. Knowing the tension also allows for proper maintenance and adjustments to be made to keep the elevator functioning properly.