Calculating the 46th Derivative of a Quotient Function

• Thread starter Kingyou123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the forty-sixth derivative of a function at a specific value using factorial notation. The suggestion is made to first simplify the function before using the quotient rule. The person asking the question is not sure if they should take the 46th derivative of the simplified function.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

If f(x) =(x^46 + x^45 + 2)/(x + 1)
, calculate f(46)(3), the forty-sixth derivative of f(x) at x = 3. Express
your answer using factorial notation: n! = n (n 1) (n 2) 3 2 1.

Homework Equations

Quotient rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried trying to find a pattern, I'm on the third derivative and it seems really complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kingyou123 said:

Homework Statement

If f(x) =(x^46 + x^45 + 2)/(x + 1)
, calculate f(46)(3), the forty-sixth derivative of f(x) at x = 3. Express
your answer using factorial notation: n! = n (n 1) (n 2) 3 2 1.

Homework Equations

Quotient rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried trying to find a pattern, I'm on the third derivative and it seems really complicated.
Have you thought about doing the division before taking the derivative? I don't think that starting off with the quotient rule is the way to go.

So I get x^45+0, would I just take the 46 derivative of this(which would be 0)?

Check your arithmetic. That quotient doesn't equal ##x^{45}##.

Related to Calculating the 46th Derivative of a Quotient Function

1. What is the purpose of finding the 46th derivative?

The purpose of finding the 46th derivative is to determine the rate of change of a function at the 46th level. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How do you find the 46th derivative?

To find the 46th derivative, you will need to use the power rule and chain rule repeatedly, taking the derivative of the previous derivative until you reach the 46th level. It can be a lengthy and complex process, so it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus.

3. Can the 46th derivative be found for any function?

In theory, the 46th derivative can be found for any differentiable function. However, as the number of derivatives increases, the calculations become more and more complex, making it practically impossible to find the 46th derivative for some functions.

4. What is the significance of the 46th derivative?

The 46th derivative can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to determine the maximum and minimum points of a function, as well as its concavity and inflection points.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the 46th derivative?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the 46th derivative. For example, in physics, the 46th derivative can be used to calculate the acceleration of a moving object, and in economics, it can be used to analyze the marginal cost of production.