Calculating the Area of a Region Bounded by a Cardioid and Circle

• Thread starter MozAngeles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
Good catch!In summary, the integral for finding the area inside the cardioid r=2(1+sin(theta)) and outside the circle r=2sin(theta) is correctly solved by taking the integral from [pi/2,3pi/2] for the cardioid and [0,pi/2] for the circle, resulting in an answer of 5*pi.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

Inside the cardioid r=2(1+sin(theta)) and outside the circle r=2sin(theta)

Homework Equations

A= ∫ (from a..b) 1/2 f(θ) 2

The Attempt at a Solution

A= 2∫(from π/2..3π/2) 1/2 [2(1+sin(θ)]2 dθ- 2∫(from0..π/2) 1/2 (2sinθ)2

after working that out i got the answer to be 5pi.

i need a verification for my answer because it is an even problem in the book and I'm studying for my test.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks OK except for the bounds of integration.

Why is the first integral taken over [itex][\pi/2,3\pi/2][/itex], and why is the second integral taken over [itex][0,\pi/2][/itex]?

The bounds of integration are OK. The range -pi/2 <= theta <= pi/2 gives the right half of the cardioid; equivalently, the range pi/2 <= theta <= 3pi/2 gives the left half. The range 0 <= theta <= pi/2 gives the right half of the circle; equivalently, 0 <= theta <= Pi gives the whole circle. (The whole range 0 <= theta <= 2*Pi goes around the circle twice, so would give twice the desired area.) The answer 5*pi is correct.

RGV

You're right, I didn't notice the extra factor of 2.

Related to Calculating the Area of a Region Bounded by a Cardioid and Circle

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a region?

The formula for finding the area of a region is different depending on the shape of the region. For example, the formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width, while the formula for a circle is π x radius^2. It is important to know the correct formula for the specific shape of the region in order to accurately calculate the area.

2. How do you find the area of an irregularly shaped region?

To find the area of an irregularly shaped region, you can break it down into smaller, regular shapes such as triangles, rectangles, and circles. Then, you can use the appropriate formula for each individual shape and add the areas together to find the total area of the region.

3. Can the area of a region be negative?

No, the area of a region cannot be negative. Area is a measure of the space inside a region, and space cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative result when calculating the area, it is likely due to an error in your calculation or using the wrong formula.

4. Why is it important to know how to find the area of a region?

Finding the area of a region is important in many fields, including mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows us to accurately measure and compare the sizes of different regions and can be used to solve real-world problems such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a wall or the amount of land needed for a construction project.

5. How can I use technology to find the area of a region?

There are many tools and resources available to help you find the area of a region. One option is to use a calculator or spreadsheet program that has built-in area formulas. You can also use online calculators or apps specifically designed for finding the areas of different shapes. Additionally, there are computer programs and software that can help you calculate the area of more complex and irregularly shaped regions.