Calculating the Center of Mass for an L-Shaped Object

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass for an L-shaped structure made of three "boxes" with side length a. The formula for center of mass is mentioned as well as treating the structure as two separate parts to simplify the calculation. The conversation also mentions using a coordinate system and solving for the x and y components. The final answer for the center of mass is determined to be 5a/6 and it is noted that this would be inside the system.
KiNGGeexD
Could someone confirm if my method here is correct and if not maybe a few tips
:)
I have an L shape constructed of three "boxes" of side length a what is the centre of mass?I know that CoM= the sum of moments (m*a)/ the sum of masses

So if I split the L into two parts, one box and two boxes! (Treating the two boxes as one beam) It would be fair to say that a= 2a and mass =2m for the longer beam.So...

CoM=2m*2a+ m*a/ 3(m) 2/3*a^2 mI suspect this is incorrect but not sure what to do? Ty

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not making too much sense. Take a moment to take a deep breath.

If this is a homework problem, it is recommended that you follow the template and give us a complete statement of the problem you are trying to solve. For your peace of mind and ours, a sketch would replace a lot of verbal handwaving.

Ok no problem! I will upload one shortly :)

I know I got a bit ahead of myself

Ok I have figured my problem out! I was not thinking!

I treated my beams as three point particles as we can do with CoM!

I then defined a co-ordinate system and solved for the x and y components and expressed the CoM I'm coordinate notation I.e (x,y)

Thanks for you help!

The x, y, and z coordinates of the center of mass of the entire figure are the weighted averages of the coordinates of the centers of masses of the individual parts, each weighted by its mass. That's essentially the same as "treating the beams as three point particles" as you say you did.

Well my problem was only two dimensional so I disregarded the CoM in the z plane :)

Is this correct however?

Ok my answer for both the x and y direction because they are symmetrically the same I got 5a/6 which seems reasonable as it would be outside the system :)

I misspoke (typed) the CoM would be inside the system:)

Related to Calculating the Center of Mass for an L-Shaped Object

What is the definition of Centre of mass?

The centre of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the object is perfectly balanced in all directions.

How is the centre of mass of an L shape calculated?

The centre of mass of an L shape can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses and their positions. This can be done by dividing the total mass of the shape by the total length of the shape.

What factors affect the centre of mass of an L shape?

The position and shape of the individual masses within the L shape will affect the centre of mass. The total mass of the shape and the distribution of the masses can also have an impact on the centre of mass.

Why is it important to know the centre of mass of an L shape?

Knowing the centre of mass of an L shape is important for understanding the stability and balance of the shape. It can also be useful in understanding the motion and behavior of the shape when subjected to external forces.

How can the centre of mass of an L shape be applied in real life?

The concept of centre of mass is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Understanding the centre of mass of an L shape can help in designing stable structures, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and improving performance in sports like gymnastics and diving.