Calculating the Center of Mass of an Arc

In summary, the center of mass of an arc is found by integrating the product of each mass element corresponding to a particular angle theta with its corresponding height.
RoyalCat

Homework Statement

There is an arc with an angle of [tex]2\alpha[/tex] and radius [tex]R[/tex]
What is its center of mass. (It is implied that it is to be measured from the center of the circle the arc is a part of.

Homework Equations

Integration, trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the formula for a center of mass of [tex]i[/tex] objects is:
[tex]\vec r_{cm}=\frac{\Sigma m_i \vec r_i}{M_{tot}}[/tex]

Since the arc has symmetry with respect to the y axis, all we need to find is the y coordinate of its center of mass.

We'll simply replace the discrete summation with an integral (I'm not too hot with these).

The mass of every tiny element of the arc length, [tex]dS[/tex] is [tex]\sigma dS=\sigma R d\theta[/tex]
Where [tex]\sigma \equiv \frac{M}{S}=\frac{M}{2R\alpha}[/tex]

The distance of 'each' of these masses from the x axis, their y value, is provided by [tex]R\sin{\theta}[/tex]

What I want my integral to do is 'sweep' across the arc. Would the correct boundaries for such an integral be:
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}-\alpha \leftrightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}+\alpha[/tex]

The integral would need to sum up the product of each of the mass elements corresponding to a particular angle theta with its corresponding height (The sine of that theta).

Would the correct integral be (I can't quite get the hang of boundaries in LaTeX, so refer to the boundaries I wrote above):
[tex]\int \sigma R*R\sin{\theta}\ d\theta[/tex]

I'm not in the least bit skilled with integrals so I'd like to know if that's the correct expression, and if so, where the [tex]d\theta[/tex] goes from the expression for the tiny mass element. Or if I got it wrong, I'd love a hint as to how to construct the proper integral. (A link with the basics of such integration would be greatly appreciated as well. :))

The textbook's answer is [tex]\frac{R\sin{\alpha}}{\alpha}[/tex]
The way I solved the integral gave me that answer as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is all correct in your solution. The [tex]d\theta[/tex] is not goes from the expression for the tiny mass element. It goes out after integrating:
[tex]\int\limits_{\frac \pi 2 - \alpha}^{\frac \pi 2 + \alpha} \sigma R^2 \sin \theta d\theta = \left . -\sigma R^2 \cos \theta \right |_{\frac \pi 2 - \alpha}^{\frac \pi 2 + \alpha} = [/tex].

Read this book about integrating and methods of applied mathematics: Zeldovich Ya.B., Yaglom I.M.
Higher math for beginners (mostly physicists and engineers)

Alright, thank you very much! :)

FAQ: Calculating the Center of Mass of an Arc

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed and the object is in perfect balance.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in the object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point, then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the object or system.

3. Can the center of mass be outside of the physical boundaries of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of the physical boundaries of an object if the object is not symmetrical or if there are different densities throughout the object.

4. How does the shape of an arc affect the calculation of its center of mass?

The shape of an arc can greatly affect the calculation of its center of mass. If the arc is symmetrically shaped, the center of mass will be located at the midpoint of the arc. If the arc is asymmetrical, the center of mass will be closer to the heavier end of the arc.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the center of mass of an arc?

Calculating the center of mass of an arc is useful in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can help determine the stability and balance of structures, the trajectory of projectiles, and the motion of objects in space.

Back