Calculating the Change in Kinetic Energy During a Collision

In summary, on a frictionless horizontal air table, puck A (with mass 0.366 kg) is moving toward puck B (with mass 0.254 kg), which is initially at rest. After the collision, puck A has velocity 0.119 m/s to the left, and puck B has velocity 0.655 m/s to the right. The initial velocity of puck A was -0.659 m/s, and the change in total kinetic energy during the collision was 0.333 J. To calculate the change in kinetic energy during the collision, you need to use the equation: 1/2 m1 v1(squared)i = 1/2 m1 v(squared)1f +
disruptors
On a frictionless horizontal air table, puck A (with mass 0.366 kg) is moving toward puck B (with mass 0.254 kg ), which is initially at rest. After the collision, puck A has velocity 0.119 m/s to the left, and puck B has velocity 0.655 m/s to the right.

What was the speed of puck A (Vai) before the collision?

K I put v=v1(m1+m2)/(m1-m2)

v1=-.119 m/s since it moves in the left direction and i defined right as +ve

my initial velocity of puck a came to be -0.659 m/s, but it seems to be wrong.

Calculate , the change in the total kinetic energy of the system that occurs during the collision.

for the KE I got 0.333 J but I don't know why its wrong
thx guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
K I put v=v1(m1+m2)/(m1-m2)

?

Since puck B is initially at rest, the initial linear momentum of the system is: m1*v

After the collision, the linear momentum will be equal to: m1*v1 + m2*v2

Since linear momentum is conserved, the initial and final linear momentums will be equal. Once you equate these, you can solve for v.

Hope this helps,

zoetrope

yeah that helps thanks

i was looking at it as an inelastic collision

for the energy part i am using the equation

1/2 m1 v1(squared)i = 1/2 m1 v(squared)1f + 1/2 m2 v(squared)2f

question is looking for change in kinetic energy DURING collision

i calculated Final KE - Initial KE but is that not considered the total change in KE DURING the collision?

Related to Calculating the Change in Kinetic Energy During a Collision

1. What is a collision in 1 dimension?

A collision in 1 dimension refers to a situation where two objects come into contact and exchange energy, momentum, or both, along a single line of motion.

2. What are the different types of collisions in 1 dimension?

There are two main types of collisions in 1 dimension: elastic collisions and inelastic collisions. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision in 1 dimension?

Momentum is conserved in a collision in 1 dimension because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the sum of the momenta of the two objects involved in the collision is equal before and after the collision.

4. How is kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision in 1 dimension?

In an elastic collision in 1 dimension, kinetic energy is conserved because the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the sum of the kinetic energies of the two objects involved in the collision is equal before and after the collision.

5. How do I calculate the velocities of the objects after a collision in 1 dimension?

To calculate the velocities of the objects after a collision in 1 dimension, you can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. These equations involve the masses, initial velocities, and final velocities of the objects. By solving these equations, you can determine the velocities of the objects after the collision.