Calculating the charge of an electron from Millikan's Oil drop experiment

In summary, The task at hand is to determine the quantized charge of an electron using data from a lab experiment. The equation used for this analysis is q = 3∏r(E)η(Vup+Vdown), where r is the known radius of the drop, E is the known electric field, η is the known effective air viscosity, and Vup and Vdown are the terminal velocities of the particle going up and down, determined from the data. The challenge is to find the charge per electron, which can be determined by comparing the charge for different sizes of drops and showing that they are all some integer multiple of the electron charge. One way to do this is to plot the drop charge vs the drop number,
karan4496

Homework Statement

I did the lab and have to analyze the data to determine the quantized charge of an electron.
I have used the data to determine the 'total' charge on the observed drops using the following equation.

Homework Equations

q = 3 ∏ r (E) η (Vup+Vdown)

Where r is the known radius of the drop, E is the known electric field, η is the known efffective air viscosity and Vup and Vdown are terminal velocities of the particle going up and down (determined from data), respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined the charge on each of the drops observed. But I don't know how to further analyze the data to find what the charge is per electron.

I presume it is the greatest common factor or highest common denominator but calculating that doesn't bring me any closer to the charge of an electron.
Any suggestions?

All of my q values are on the order of 10^-17, so I'm probably missing a factor of 100 somewhere but I don't know where. Everything in mm is converted to m in my calculations prior to solving. This is the main problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
best way i found to find the charge of an electron is to plot a your drop charge vs the drop number, and you should be able to see a step difference of ~ 1.6x10^-19 C

If you have done an adequate amount of drops you should have multiple sitting on each line.

Hopefully your drops all 10 or less electrons or it will be fairly hard to determine the charge

Related to Calculating the charge of an electron from Millikan's Oil drop experiment

1. What is Millikan's Oil drop experiment?

Millikan's Oil drop experiment is a famous experiment conducted by American physicist Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron. It involved observing the movement of tiny oil droplets in an electric field.

2. How does Millikan's Oil drop experiment calculate the charge of an electron?

In the experiment, Millikan measured the rate at which the oil droplets fell under the influence of gravity and compared it to the rate at which they rose under the influence of an electric field. By varying the strength of the electric field, he was able to determine the charge of the oil droplets and thus calculate the charge of an electron.

3. What was the significance of Millikan's Oil drop experiment?

Millikan's Oil drop experiment was significant because it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which was previously unknown. This allowed for a better understanding of the nature of electricity and the structure of atoms.

4. What is the value of the charge of an electron determined by Millikan's Oil drop experiment?

The value of the charge of an electron determined by Millikan's Oil drop experiment is 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This value is still accepted and used in modern physics and is considered a fundamental constant.

5. What are some potential sources of error in Millikan's Oil drop experiment?

Some potential sources of error in the experiment include air currents affecting the movement of the oil droplets, temperature changes affecting the viscosity of the oil, and human error in measuring the droplet's motion. However, Millikan's careful design and repetition of the experiment helped to minimize these errors.