Calculating the charge to mass ratio

In summary, a small object with mass m, charge q, and initial speed v0 = 6.00×103 m/s is projected into a uniform electric field between two parallel metal plates. The electric field has a magnitude of E = 700 N/C and is directed downward. The object is deflected downward a vertical distance d = 1.35 cm and reaches a collecting plate 56.0 cm from the edge of the parallel plates. To find the charge-to-mass ratio, q/m, the object's acceleration in the electric field needs to be calculated and set equal to the acceleration due to gravity in order to solve for q/m.
WestTXcollegekid

Homework Statement

A small object with mass m, charge q, and initial speedv0 = 5.00×10^3 m/s is projected into a uniform electric field between two parallel metal plates of length 26.0 cm (Figure 1) .The electric field between the plates is directed downward and has magnitude E = 700 N/C . Assume that the field is zero outside the region between the plates. The separation between the plates is large enough for the object to pass between the plates without hitting the lower plate. After passing through the field region, the object is deflected downward a vertical distance d = 1.15 cm from its original direction of motion and reaches a collecting plate that is 56.0 cm from the edge of the parallel plates. Ignore gravity and air resistance.

Homework Equations

E=F/q
xf=xi+vi*t+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since gravity and air resistance air are not factors, I thought the only thing affecting the motion of the object is the electric field. Using the horizontal velocity, I calculated the time that the object was between the plates. Then, using that and the second equation I calculated the vertical acceleration of the object. From there, I expanded the first equation into E=(m*a)/q and plugged in the acceleration and given electric field and solved for q/m

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 8.41.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 8.41.20 PM.png
    66 KB · Views: 2,792
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a question. Did you obtain a result or are you just outlining an approach you tried? How did it turn out? Did it go off the rails somewhere?

WestTXcollegekid said:

Homework Statement

A small object with mass m, charge q, and initial speedv0 = 5.00×10^3 m/s is projected into a uniform electric field between two parallel metal plates of length 26.0 cm (Figure 1) .The electric field between the plates is directed downward and has magnitude E = 700 N/C . Assume that the field is zero outside the region between the plates. The separation between the plates is large enough for the object to pass between the plates without hitting the lower plate. After passing through the field region, the object is deflected downward a vertical distance d = 1.15 cm from its original direction of motion and reaches a collecting plate that is 56.0 cm from the edge of the parallel plates. Ignore gravity and air resistance.

Homework Equations

E=F/q
xf=xi+vi*t+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since gravity and air resistance air are not factors, I thought the only thing affecting the motion of the object is the electric field. Using the horizontal velocity, I calculated the time that the object was between the plates. Then, using that and the second equation I calculated the vertical acceleration of the object. From there, I expanded the first equation into E=(m*a)/q and plugged in the acceleration and given electric field and solved for q/m
Your method, as far as you describe it, sounds right. Not clear what you did in regard to the travel after the plates. Please post your working. Please keep it symbolic (no plugging in numbers) until the final step.

The objective is to find the charge to mass ratio, I have attached a screenshot of the problem.

The issue I'm having is, how do i go about finding the y velocity after it exits the E field. and how do I find the acceleration on the object by the E field if i don't know the displacement during its time in the E field.

WestTXcollegekid said:
The issue I'm having is, how do i go about finding the y velocity after it exits the E field. and how do I find the acceleration on the object by the E field if i don't know the displacement during its time in the E field.
Let the acceleration in the field be a. Calculate where it should end up on the screen in terms of a.

WestTXcollegekid said:
Since these things depend upon quantities you don't know (the mass and charge), you should leave them as variables.

Edit: Note that the problem wants you to find the ratio q/M. Figure that at some point you'll be able to insert some variable (maybe call it "r") to represent q/M. I'd take a look at your acceleration and see what it depends on.

A small object with mass m, charge q, and initial speed v0 = 6.00×103 m/s is projected into a uniform electric field between two parallel metal plates of length 26.0 cm (Figure 1) . The electric field between the plates is directed downward and has magnitudeE = 700 N/C . Assume that the field is zero outside the region between the plates. The separation between the plates is large enough for the object to pass between the plates without hitting the lower plate. After passing through the field region, the object is deflected downward a vertical distanced = 1.35 cm from its original direction of motion and reaches a collecting plate that is 56.0 cm from the edge of the parallel plates. Ignore gravity and air resistance. Calculate the object's charge-to-mass ratio, q/m. can anyone help me with this ques please

ur sh,

If you want help with the same problem, then you'll have to supply your own attempt at a solution first. The Original Poster in this thread still has not solved the problem, so getting him/her to the finish line will take priority if he/she returns.

Note that according to the forum rules, no help can be offered until an attempt at solution has been made.

A small object with mass m, charge q, and initial speed v0 = 6.00×103 m/s is projected into a uniform electric field between two parallel metal plates of length 26.0 cm (Figure 1) . The electric field between the plates is directed downward and has magnitudeE = 700 N/C . Assume that the field is zero outside the region between the plates. The separation between the plates is large enough for the object to pass between the plates without hitting the lower plate. After passing through the field region, the object is deflected downward a vertical distanced = 1.35 cm from its original direction of motion and reaches a collecting plate that is 56.0 cm from the edge of the parallel plates. Ignore gravity and air resistance.
Calculate the object's charge-to-mass ratio, q/m.
but this ans is wrong
E=F/q
700=F/q
700q*82=1/2mv^2
2*700*82/(6*10^3)=(1400*82)?36*10^6
32*10^-4

You'll have to explain your logic. What does your third step represent?

gneill said:
You'll have to explain your logic. What does your third step represent?

Hmm, how does he get 82?

82 is the total distance traveled by the particle

Related to Calculating the charge to mass ratio

1. How do you calculate the charge to mass ratio?

The charge to mass ratio (e/m) can be calculated by dividing the charge (q) by the mass (m) of a particle. The equation is e/m = q/m.

2. What units are used to measure the charge to mass ratio?

The charge to mass ratio is typically measured in units of Coulombs per kilogram (C/kg) or in some cases, Coulombs per gram (C/g).

3. Why is the charge to mass ratio important in physics?

The charge to mass ratio is an important concept in physics because it helps to identify and distinguish between different particles such as electrons, protons, and ions. It is also used in various equations and experiments related to electricity, magnetism, and nuclear physics.

4. How is the charge to mass ratio measured in a laboratory?

The charge to mass ratio can be measured using a device called a cathode ray tube, which applies an electric field to a beam of charged particles and measures the deflection of the beam. Other techniques, such as mass spectrometry, can also be used to measure the charge to mass ratio of particles.

5. Does the charge to mass ratio of a particle change?

The charge to mass ratio of a particle can change if the particle undergoes a change in charge or mass. For example, if an electron gains or loses charge, its charge to mass ratio will change. Similarly, if a particle undergoes a nuclear reaction, its mass may change, thus altering its charge to mass ratio.