Calculating the Deceleration of a Car in an Emergency Stop

In summary, the braking distance is the distance a car travels while decelerating after the brakes are applied. A car with a mass of 450kg traveling at 70MPH has a braking distance of 75m. To calculate the deceleration, the equation of motion is used, resulting in an answer of -6.53ms-2. When the car's mass is doubled, its stopping distance at 70MPH is 135m.
Kujanator

Homework Statement

The braking distance is the distance the car travels while decelerating once the brakes have been applied. A car of mass 450kg is traveling at a speed of 70MPH (31.3ms-1) when the driver makes an emergency stop.
Calculate the deceleration of the car (Assume a uniform deceleration)

We're also told that at 70mph/31.3ms-1 that the breaking distance is 75 m.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did initially try to do this using the equations of motion but that gave me a huge answer, and didn't take into account the mass of the car so I didn't think it was right.

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your attempt, even if it has an error or two. That way we will know how to help.

gneill said:
You should show your attempt, even if it has an error or two. That way we will know how to help.

Ok, this is what I did.

S=75
U=31.3
V=0
A=?
T=?

s=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*a*75
0=979.69+150a
-979.69/150=a
a=-6.53 ms-2

Which looking back doesn't look too bad, when I did it first time I think I accidentally must have typed the wrong numbers into my calculator because I got -1000ms-2. I'm just thinking I did it wrong because I didn't use the mass.

Kujanator said:
Ok, this is what I did.

S=75
U=31.3
V=0
A=?
T=?

s=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*a*75
0=979.69+150a
-979.69/150=a
a=-6.53 ms-2

Looks good.

One small nit though, in your first equation you put "s" on the left where you meant to put "V2". Clearly a typo, since you correctly substituted the value of V2 in your next line. So overall, well done.

There's just one other part:
The car is then filled with passengers so that its mass is doubled. Calculate its stopping distance when traveling at 70MPH. Assume the force calculated in b(ii) remains constant.

I calculated the force as:
F=ma
F=450*6.53= 2938.5N

How do I go about doing this is it:

2938.5 = 900 * a
2938.5/900 = 3.625

So:
v²=u²+2as
0=31.3²+2*3.625*s
-979.69/7.25=s
s=135 metres.

Thanks again!

Check your value for the new acceleration. Looks like a finger problem. Otherwise you're method works okay.

You could skip the force calculation if you realize that since F = MA, then A = F/M. Therefore if you double M you must halve A.

Related to Calculating the Deceleration of a Car in an Emergency Stop

What causes a car to decelerate?

A car decelerates due to the application of brakes, friction between the tires and the road, and air resistance. The brakes reduce the rotational speed of the wheels, causing the car to slow down. Friction between the tires and the road also plays a role, as it increases the resistance against the car's motion. Finally, air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion, slowing it down.

How does a car's mass affect its deceleration?

The mass of a car directly affects its deceleration. The greater the mass of the car, the more force is required to slow it down. This means that a heavier car will decelerate slower than a lighter car, given the same amount of braking force.

What is the difference between deceleration and braking?

Deceleration is a general term used to describe any decrease in speed. Braking, on the other hand, is a specific action taken to slow down a car by applying the brakes. While all braking involves deceleration, not all deceleration is a result of braking. Factors such as air resistance and friction can also cause deceleration without the use of brakes.

How does the speed of a car affect its deceleration?

The speed of a car has a direct impact on its deceleration. The higher the speed, the more force is required to slow down the car. This is because the car has more kinetic energy at higher speeds, which must be dissipated in order to decelerate.

Can a car decelerate without losing speed?

No, a car cannot decelerate without losing speed. Deceleration is defined as a decrease in speed, so in order for a car to decelerate, it must lose speed. However, it is possible for a car to maintain a constant speed while decelerating, as long as the deceleration force is equal to the force propelling the car forward (e.g. gravity on a downhill slope).

Back