Calculating the Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix

In summary, to find the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, you can use the formula -1 times the determinant of a 3x3 submatrix. In this case, the submatrix is found by removing the first row and first column of the original matrix. The resulting determinant is -18.
andrey21
Find the determinant of the following 4x4 matrix

-1 0 0 0
-15 7 -15 5
-5 1 -6 1
6 -7 6 -5

Here is my attempt

Ive seen that I should do the following:

-1.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)-0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix) + 0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)-0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)

which would simplify to

-1.(determinat of 3x3 matrix)

IS THIS CORRECT??

Physics news on Phys.org
andrey21 said:
Find the determinant of the following 4x4 matrix

-1 0 0 0
-15 7 -15 5
-5 1 -6 1
6 -7 6 -5

Here is my attempt

Ive seen that I should do the following:

-1.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)-0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix) + 0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)-0.(determinant of 3x3 matrix)

which would simplify to

-1.(determinat of 3x3 matrix)

IS THIS CORRECT??
Yes. To be more specific, it is -1 times the determinant of this submatrix:

7 -15 5
1 -6 1
-7 6 -5

I.e., the cofactor of the -1 entry in row 1, column 1.

Great thanks mark 44 I ended up with the correct answer of -18:)

FAQ: Calculating the Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix

What is a 4x4 matrix?

A 4x4 matrix is a mathematical representation of a set of numbers arranged in a rectangular grid with four rows and four columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra and can represent a variety of mathematical operations.

What is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a single number that is calculated using a specific formula. It is used to determine properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

How is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is calculated by finding the sum of the products of the elements in each row or column, multiplied by their respective cofactors. The cofactor of an element is determined by creating a smaller matrix with the element removed and finding the determinant of that matrix.

What does the determinant of a 4x4 matrix represent?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix represents the scale factor of the linear transformation that the matrix represents. It can also be used to find the volume of a parallelepiped in three-dimensional space.

Why is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix important?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is important because it is used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and in applications of geometry and physics. It also has practical applications in computer graphics and data compression.