Calculating the Distance Traveled by a Falling Object on an Airplane

In summary, the problem involves calculating the distance a bottle travels when dropped from a flight attendant's cart on an airplane cruising at 450 knots. The distance from the top of the cart to the deck is 3.5 ft and the bottle takes 0.46 seconds to hit the deck. Using the Earth as the frame of reference, the bottle would travel 333.27 ft in 0.46 seconds.
waterwalker10
Was given this problem as a homework assignment but I would like to solve it...just need a push in the right direction.

An airliner is cruising at a ground speed of 450 knots. A flight attendant, serving drinks, accidentally knocks a bottle off her cart. The distance from the top of the cart to the deck is 3.5 ft. Using the Earth as the frame of reference, how many feet does the bottle travel between the moment it falls off the cart, and when it hits the airplane's deck? Report your answer to the nearest three decimal places.

S = [tex]S_{0}[/tex]+[tex]V_{0}[/tex]t + ([tex]1/2[/tex])a[tex]t^{2}[/tex]

A = 2[tex]s/t^{2}[/tex]

Maybe find the Hypotenuse?

Simply putting where do I begin. I would attempte this but I am not sure of how to start solving this problem...Help, maybe the correct equation...please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is what I came up with for the final answer! Hope this helps some in need...

A = 2*1.06 / 462 = 2.12/.2116 = 10.018 ft/s/s

450knots(0.46) = 450 knots * 1.15mph/1knot * 1.47ftps/1mph * (0.46s) = 333.27 ft

The plane traveled 333.27ft in .46 seconds.

Related to Calculating the Distance Traveled by a Falling Object on an Airplane

1. What causes a falling object during flight?

A falling object during flight is typically caused by a change in the force of gravity acting on the object. This can happen if the object is dropped from a high altitude, experiences a sudden change in air pressure, or if the aircraft itself is rapidly descending.

2. Is it dangerous to have a falling object during flight?

It can be dangerous to have a falling object during flight, especially if the object is large or heavy. The object can potentially damage the aircraft or injure passengers or crew. It is important for all objects to be properly secured and stowed during flight to prevent any accidents.

3. Can a falling object during flight affect the aircraft's stability?

Yes, a falling object during flight can definitely affect the aircraft's stability. The sudden change in weight distribution can cause the aircraft to become unbalanced, which can affect its ability to fly properly. Pilots are trained to handle such situations and may need to make adjustments to maintain stability.

4. What is the protocol for dealing with a falling object during flight?

If a falling object is noticed during flight, the first step is for the crew to secure themselves and the aircraft. They may then need to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. This may involve attempting to retrieve the object or simply ensuring that it does not cause any harm or disruptions during the remainder of the flight.

5. Can a falling object during flight be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent a falling object during flight, there are measures in place to minimize the risk. All objects should be properly secured and stowed before takeoff, and passengers should be reminded to keep their personal belongings safely stowed during the flight. Regular maintenance checks should also be conducted to ensure that all equipment and furnishings in the aircraft are secure.

Back