Calculating the Energy for Equal de Broglie Wavelengths of Photons and Electrons

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength for an electron is equal to the relativistic energy equation, where T represents the kinetic energy of the electron.
ariana13
How do you calcuate at what energy do a photon and an electron have the same de broglie wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org
ariana13 said:
How do you calculate at what energy do a photon and an electron have the same de broglie wavelength?
Hi ariana13 and welcome to PF,

I'm assuming that this is a homework question, in which case for future reference we have Homework & Coursework problems for such questions. Don't worry about it now, your thread will get moved there in due course.

Now for your question. What do you know about the de Broglie wavelength? How is it claculated?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong thread! For a photon, wavelength is just lambda=h*c/energy. I think for an electron you use the relativistic equation lambda=h/mv*sqt(1-v^2/c^2). I've tried equating these, but i ended up with a horrible equation to solve because i don't have velocity of the electron. I think i must have gone wrong somewhere.

Since we are taking about energies here, it may be more useful to use an alternative form for the de Broglie wavelength for the electron,

[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{pc} = \frac{hc}{\sqrt{T^2+2Tm_0c^2}}[/tex]

Thanks for your help. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never seen that equation before, where does it come from? What does T stand for?

ariana13 said:
Thanks for your help. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've never seen that equation before, where does it come from? What does T stand for?
There are no stupid questions :smile:

Anyway, it comes from the relativistic energy eqaution,

[tex]E^2 = \left(pc\right)^2 + \left(m_0c^2\right)^2[/tex]

Where E it the total energy. In the expression in my previous post T represents the kinetic energy of the electron. Of course if one would prever to calculate the total energy of the electron (including rest energy) one may rewrite the previous equation,

[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{pc} = \frac{hc}{\sqrt{E^2 - m_0^2c^4}}[/tex]

Thanks for clarifying that, i think i do it now. :)

Related to Calculating the Energy for Equal de Broglie Wavelengths of Photons and Electrons

1. What is the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, specifically matter particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed the idea in the early 1920s.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength is calculated using the following formula: λ = h / p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 m^2 kg/s), and p is the momentum of the particle. This formula shows that the De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It suggests that particles, even though they have mass and behave like particles, also exhibit wave-like properties. This concept is essential in understanding the behavior of matter at the quantum level.

4. How does the De Broglie wavelength relate to the uncertainty principle?

The De Broglie wavelength is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The smaller the De Broglie wavelength, the more certain we are about the particle's momentum, and the less certain we are about its position.

5. Can the De Broglie wavelength be observed in everyday objects?

No, the De Broglie wavelength is only observable in very small particles, such as electrons, due to their extremely small mass and high velocity. It is not noticeable in everyday objects because their mass and speed are too large for their De Broglie wavelength to be significant.