Calculating the force on a Crankshaft in a Steam Engine

In summary, the individual needs to calculate the force on the crankshaft of their steam engine given the size of the engine, piston, and force acting on the piston. They have determined that the force should be the same where the piston meets the crank and they can ignore the y-force due to the absence of friction. However, they are unsure how to calculate the force at the other end of the crank where it pushes the flywheel. They have considered doing a free body diagram and using trigonometry to find an equation for the force in relation to the angle of the flywheel. Ultimately, their main concern is finding the torque on the crankshaft, rather than just the force.
Mellorillo
Given that I have a steam engine, and now its size, the size of the piston, the length of its stroke and the force acting on the piston at certain points, I need to calculate the force on the crankshaft.

Now, I now that Fx should be the same where the piston meets the crank, and we can ignore Fy at this point I think, since there is no friction. But how do I calculate the force at the other end of my crank? Where the crank pushes the flywheel?

Since i don't really want people doing all the work for me I figured I needn't include variables, just some theory work from you guys would be much appreciated.

Finally, am I right in thinking i need to know the velocity of my piston, and thus my crank(Or at least the velocity of one point) I also now the RPM of the flywheel when the piston is a t top dead centre (I.e fully closed)

Hope that covers everything thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, I now that Fx should be the same where the piston meets the crank, and we can ignore Fy at this point I think, since there is no friction. But how do I calculate the force at the other end of my crank? Where the crank pushes the flywheel?

I guess you have a pistom, connecting rod, and crankshft ( attached flywheel).
Perhaps you should do a fbd of the connecting rod to determine your forces at your pins, knowing that with a pin connection the force will be along the centrerline of the member ( or from centre of one pin to the other ), Is there really no y-force?

Done a free body.
I can't think of what the y force would be? there should be none on the piston (other than gravity and some force N pushing up on the piston but since there is no friction i ignore these right?)
Though there will be an x and y component of the forces on the pin at the other end of the crankshaft where it meets the fly wheel.
Finding these forces is proving to be a problem.

I know the force on the piston at a point B as the steam expands. (Pressure*pistonArea - ambientPressure*piston diameter) so that should also be my Fx where the piston meets the rod, but how then do I go about finding the force at the other end of the rod? Does finding the velocity help?

I think a friend mentioned finding an equation X in theta (where theta is the angle of the flywheel out of the 360 degrees in a revolution) but I am unsure how to do that, Trigonometry using the flywheel radius and the rod maybe?

Thanks for your time

I would think the germane question is what is the torque, not the force, on the crankshaft.

The force is just the force of the piston. The torque is that force times the lever-arm imparting torque to the crankshaft. That torque is of course time-varying with the rotation angle of the crankshaft.

The torque you reckon? Which is the force translated to the fly wheel?
By lever arm do you mean the rod length? or the distance from the pin on the fly wheel to the fly wheel centre?

Related to Calculating the force on a Crankshaft in a Steam Engine

1. How is the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine calculated?

The force on a crankshaft in a steam engine can be calculated using the equation F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the piston in square meters.

2. What factors affect the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine?

The force on a crankshaft in a steam engine is affected by several factors, including the steam pressure, the size and design of the piston, the angle of the crankshaft, and the speed of the engine.

3. How does the steam pressure affect the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine?

The higher the steam pressure, the greater the force on the crankshaft. This is because higher pressure means more force is being exerted on the piston, which in turn creates a greater force on the crankshaft.

4. What is the significance of the angle of the crankshaft in calculating the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine?

The angle of the crankshaft plays a crucial role in determining the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine. The force is greatest when the crankshaft is at a 90-degree angle, as this is when the piston is exerting the most force on the crankshaft.

5. How does the speed of the engine affect the force on a crankshaft in a steam engine?

The faster the engine is running, the greater the force on the crankshaft. This is because the piston is moving more quickly, resulting in more frequent and powerful impacts on the crankshaft. However, at very high speeds, the force may decrease due to factors such as friction and inertia.