Calculating the heat in the circuit when adding resistances

In summary, the problem asks for the resistance of a copper resistor that will release more heat when compared to a resistor made of aluminum. The answer is found by solving for the resistance in terms of the original resistance (R) and the rate (Rx/R).
satycorn
Hi everyone! I've got to problems I need your help with, I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

1. Homework Statement

A conductor made out of copper (Cu) has a resistance of 4Ω in 20° Celcius. When current flows in the conductor, it's temperature rises to 220°C. In parallel with the resistance, we connect a Rx resistance. How should the value of the Rx resistance be, compared to the original resistance, so that a greater heat can be released in the Rx? For Copper: α=0.0039, ρo=1.7x10-8

Homework Equations

Q=I2Rt; Q=(U2/R)t

The Attempt at a Solution

So since the resistances are connected in parallel, I tried using the first one but I don't have the time, do I have to build the solution in form of a ratio?? And also, why do we need the ρo of Copper if the R=Ro(1+αΔt) formula is used, in my opinion? Can anyone please help me with this?

Thank you :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the time - just treat it as a rate (Q/t). Quite possibly you don't need ρo, but if so it will just cancel later. Please post your attempt.

Ughh, thanks for your reply, although I think I'm stuck again...

I separated R from the Q=I2Rt, which gives R=Q/(I2xt).
I treat the two resistances as a rate (Rx/R), which is Rx=Q1/(I2xt) and R=Q/(I2xt) but here's where I'm stuck, the problem doesn't ask for a specific heat, it just says: "So that the heat that would be released in Rx can be greater"... What do I do here? Do I just continue solving the rate, going to another rate of R=Ro(1+αΔt)? Wouldn't that give the same in both parts of the refraction??

The answer will be in the form of an inequality. Rather than using <, >, and running the risk of getting them reversed somewhere, probably simplest to calculate the resistance that would make them equal, then figure out how to write the inequality.

haruspex said:
The answer will be in the form of an inequality. Rather than using <, >, and running the risk of getting them reversed somewhere, probably simplest to calculate the resistance that would make them equal, then figure out how to write the inequality.

Should I calculate the resistance from R=Ro(1+αΔt) or R=Q/(I2xt)?

Either way the symbols just cancel themselves and I am stuck with unknown ones again...
Q/(I2xt)=Q'/(I2xt). The current and time are constant, right? So they cancel themselves and I end up with Q=Q'... Same thing goes for the other formula...

So if I do it in form of an equation from the formula of heat: Q=I2xRxt, it will be:
Q'>Q -> I2xR'xt>I2xRxt, the I and t cancel themselves, so R'>R, I'm left with that, is that really it, to get a higher heat I need a higher resistance, so Rx has to be higher? It just sounds too easy :S..

satycorn said:
Should I calculate the resistance from R=Ro(1+αΔt) or R=Q/(I2xt)?
You don't know the current or the power, so R=Ro(1+αΔt) is the only option (for the hot copper resistor).

Okay, I understand. Is this okay?

Ro'(1+αΔt)>Ro(1+αΔt)
Ro'x1,78>4x1,78
Ro'>4

I don't know how accurate I am, but the problem is asking me for the Rx resistance, which I haven't found, right?...

FAQ: Calculating the heat in the circuit when adding resistances

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit, you need to add up the resistances of all the components in the circuit. This can be done using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of the components.

2. Can I use Ohm's law to calculate the heat in a circuit?

Yes, Ohm's law, which states that V = IR (where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance), can be used to calculate the heat in a circuit. By rearranging the formula to R = V/I and then using the formula Q = I²R (where Q is heat), you can calculate the heat in a circuit by plugging in the values for voltage and current.

3. How does adding resistances affect the heat in a circuit?

Adding resistances to a circuit will increase the total resistance, which in turn decreases the current. According to the formula Q = I²R, as the current decreases, the heat generated in the circuit will also decrease.

4. Is there a limit to how much resistance I can add to a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to how much resistance you can add to a circuit. This limit is determined by the power source and the maximum current it can provide. Adding too much resistance can cause the circuit to become overloaded and potentially damage the components.

5. How does the material of the resistance affect the heat in a circuit?

The material of the resistance does not directly affect the heat in a circuit. However, different materials have different resistivity values, which can affect the overall resistance in the circuit. This, in turn, can affect the heat generated in the circuit according to Ohm's law.

Back