Calculating the Height Needed to Break the Sound Barrier When Dropped

In summary, when an object is dropped from a certain height, the force of gravity causes it to accelerate towards the ground. In order for an object to break the sound barrier when dropped, it would need to be dropped from a height of at least 19.2 kilometers (12 miles). This is because the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second, and it takes 4.4 seconds to reach the ground from a height of 19.2 kilometers. This means that the object would have to reach a speed of 343 meters per second in order to break the sound barrier. However, this calculation does not take into account air resistance, which would affect the actual height needed to break the sound barrier.
crybaby
Sooo i was wondering...
Can something that has been dropped from a higj enough hight eventually break the sound barrier. Well, since we know that the gravitational acceleration is approximately 10 m/s^2 and that the speed of sound is approximately 330 m/s i pluged it into the acceleration formula:

a=dv/t
10=330/t
10t=330
t=33 s

So that told me that something has to fall 33 s to reach the speed of sound. Now that i know that it needs 33 s I am going to plug it into this formula:

s=(at^2)/2
s=(10*33^2)/2
s=5*33^2
s=5445m

So i think i calculated the hight from which something has to be dropped to reach the speed of sound but i need you guys to tell me iff this is actually correct. Sooo if you have time please answer ;)
ps. english is not my native language so please excuse my ridiculously bad grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh, thanks i didnt know that, but could my calculations be close or at least partially correct.

Back