Calculating the Height of a Flagpole Using Trigonometry

In summary, the vertical flagpole stands on horizontal ground and the angle of elevation of the top of the pole from a certain point on the ground is theta. From a point on the ground 10m closer to the pole, the angle of elevation is beta. The height of the pole is \frac{10sin\theta sin\beta}{sin(\beta-\theta)}.
odolwa99
Having a fair bit of trouble with this one. Based on the answer I had thought to apply the Sine Rule but adding points to describe the lengths of elevation seems wrong, but I'm stuck on how else to approach this. Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. A vertical flagpole stands on horizontal ground. The angle of elevation of the top of the pole from a certain point on the ground is [itex]\theta[/itex]. From a point on the ground 10m closer to the pole, the angle of elevation is [itex]\beta[/itex]. Show that the height of the pole is [itex]\frac{10sin\theta sin\beta}{sin(\beta-\theta)}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Points of pole: top c, bottom d.
Point at elevation [itex]\theta[/itex] = a
Point at elevation [itex]\beta[/itex] = b
[itex]sin\theta=\frac{a}{sin\theta}{|ac|}[/itex] = [itex]|ac|=\frac{a}{sin\theta}[/itex]
[itex]sin\beta=\frac{b}{|bc|}[/itex] = [itex]|bc|=\frac{b}{sin\beta}[/itex]
[itex]|\angle acb|180^o-(sin\theta+90^o) = 180^o-sin\theta[/itex]

I'd keep going at this point but I have a feeling I'm way off...

Physics news on Phys.org
odolwa99 said:
Points of pole: top c, bottom d.
Point at elevation [itex]\theta[/itex] = a
Point at elevation [itex]\beta[/itex] = b
[itex]sin\theta=\frac{a}{sin\theta}{|ac|}[/itex] = [itex]|ac|=\frac{a}{sin\theta}[/itex]
[itex]sin\beta=\frac{b}{|bc|}[/itex] = [itex]|bc|=\frac{b}{sin\beta}[/itex]
[itex]|\angle acb|180^o-(sin\theta+90^o) = 180^o-sin\theta[/itex]

I'd keep going at this point but I have a feeling I'm way off...

No, the Sine rule isn't used here.
(I labeled |ab| as 10, |bd| as x, and |cd| as h.)
Find tan θ in terms of 10, x and h. Find tan β in terms of x and h. Rewrite the latter equation so that x is by itself, and substitute into the former equation. Use trig identities to "simplify" to the answer.

This is how things are looking for me now:
a. [itex]tan\theta=\frac{h}{10+x}[/itex]
b. [itex]tan\beta=\frac{h}{x}[/itex] = [itex](tan\beta)x=h[/itex] = [itex]x=\frac{h}{tan\beta}[/itex]
Thus, b.->a. = [itex]tan\theta=\frac{h}{10+h/tan\beta}[/itex] = [itex]h=tan\theta(10+\frac{h}{tan\beta})[/itex] = [itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta+h(tan\theta)}{tan\beta}[/itex]

I seem to be quite close to the answer, but something has gone wrong here. Can you help me out again, please?

odolwa99 said:
a. [itex]\tan \theta=\frac{h}{10+x}[/itex]
b. [itex]\tan \beta=\frac{h}{x} \rightarrow (\tan \beta)x=h \rightarrow x=\frac{h}{\tan \beta}[/itex]
Thus, b.->a. [itex]\tan \theta=\frac{h}{10+h/\tan \beta} \rightarrow h=\tan \theta(10+\frac{h}{\tan \beta})[/itex]
From here:
[itex]h=\tan \theta(10+\frac{h}{\tan \beta})[/itex],
distribute the tan theta and move the fraction to the other side. You want to isolate the h, without having another h term on the other side.

Last edited:
Ok, continuing on:

[itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta+(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}[/itex] = [itex]h-\frac{(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}=\frac{10tan\theta}{tan\beta}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(h)tan\beta-(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}=\frac{10tan\theta}{tan \beta}[/itex] = [itex]h(tan\beta-tan\theta)=\frac{10tan\theta\cdot tan\beta}{tan\beta}[/itex] = [itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta\cdot tan\beta}{tan\beta(tan\beta-tan\theta)}[/itex]

The common denominator, in the very last part of the attempt here, should probably be [itex]tan(\beta-\theta)[/itex], but I'm not sure how to factor that. Also, how do I switch from tan to sin? I'm nearly there! Can you help again, please?

Thank you.

From here:
[itex]h=\tan \theta(10+\frac{h}{\tan \beta})[/itex]
odolwa99 said:
[itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta+(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}[/itex]
...to here is wrong. It should be
[itex]h = 10\tan \theta + \frac{h\tan \theta}{\tan \beta}[/itex]
Subtract the 2nd fraction (the one with the h in the numerator) from both sides. Factor out the h to get
[itex]h( something ) = 10\tan \theta[/itex]
Divide both sides by that (something).

Also, can you please stop putting equal signs between each step? Instead, you can press "Enter" between steps.

Ok, so I've made the correction and continued on from there. That just leaves me with the job of converting tan to sin. How is that achieved?

a. [itex]tan\theta=\frac{h}{10+x}[/itex]
b. [itex]tan\beta=\frac{h}{x}[/itex]
= [itex](tan\beta)x=h[/itex]
= [itex]x=\frac{h}{tan\beta}[/itex]
Thus, b.->a. = [itex]tan\theta=\frac{h}{10+h/tan\beta}[/itex]
= [itex]h=tan\theta(10+\frac{h}{tan\beta})[/itex]
= [itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta tan\beta+h(tan\theta)}{tan\beta}[/itex]

=[itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta tan\beta+(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}[/itex]
= [itex]h-\frac{(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}=10tan\theta[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{(h)tan\beta-(h)tan\theta}{tan\beta}=10tan\theta[/itex]
= [itex]h(tan\beta-tan\theta)=10tan\theta\cdot tan\beta[/itex]
= [itex]h=\frac{10tan\theta\cdot tan\beta}{tan\beta-tan\theta}[/itex]

Those equal signs you are putting at the beginning of each line: you are using them incorrectly. Either don't put them at the beginning of each line, or use \rightarrow within the itex tags.
odolwa99 said:
[itex]h=\frac{10\tan \theta \cdot \tan \beta}{\tan \beta - \tan \theta}[/itex]
Using the trig identities, rewrite the expression in terms of sines and cosines. Now you have a complex fraction. Multiply the numerator and denominator by something to simplify the fraction.

Ok, I have it now. Thank you.

Related to Calculating the Height of a Flagpole Using Trigonometry

1. What is the formula for finding the height of a pole using trigonometry?

The formula for finding the height of a pole using trigonometry is h = d * tan(theta), where h is the height of the pole, d is the distance from the base of the pole to the point of observation, and theta is the angle of elevation from the observer's eye level to the top of the pole.

2. How do I measure the angle of elevation to use in the formula?

You can measure the angle of elevation using a protractor or an inclinometer. The angle should be measured from the observer's eye level to the top of the pole.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the height of a pole if I don't know the angle of elevation?

No, you need to know the angle of elevation in order to use the trigonometric formula. Without the angle, you cannot accurately calculate the height of the pole.

4. Is it important to make sure the distance from the observer to the pole is measured accurately?

Yes, the accuracy of the distance measurement is crucial in obtaining an accurate calculation of the height of the pole. Even a small error in the distance can result in a significant difference in the height calculation.

5. Can I use trigonometry to find the height of a pole if the pole is not perfectly vertical?

Yes, you can still use trigonometry to find the height of a pole that is not perfectly vertical. However, you will need to measure the angle of elevation from the observer's eye level to a point on the pole that is known to be vertical, such as the base of the pole.