Calculating the Length of a Floating Soda Can

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the length of a soda can that is above the water level when it is half full of water and floating upright in water. The solution involves using the buoyant force equation, the density of water, and the area of the can's top to determine the depth to which the can has sunk into the water, which is also equal to the height of the part sticking out of the water. The final answer is 6.54 cm.
zzoon
[SOLVED] Fluid displacement

This has been bugging me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Homework Statement

A 355 mL soda can is 6.2 cm in diameter and has a mass of 20 g. Such a soda can half full of water is floating upright in water. What length of the can is above the water level?

The answer is 5.22 cm but I can't reach that answer.

Homework Equations

Bouyant force = density(given by rho) * g * volume displaced

Density of water = 1000 kg/ cubic meter

The Attempt at a Solution

mass of water inside the can: 355/2 mL * 1kg/L = 0.1775 kg
mass of water inside the can plus the can itself = 0.1975

From the bouyant force equation, mg = rho * g * volume displaced
m = rho * volume displaced
volume displaced = m/rho = .1975 kg /(1000 kg/(M^3)) = 0.0001975 M^3

The area of the can's top is (3.1 cm)^2 * pi = 30.19 cm^2 = 0.003019 M^2

volume = area * x where x is the depth to which the can has sunk into the water. Which I reason should also be the height of the part sticking out of the water since the can is half full.

0.0001975 M^3 = 0.003019 M^2 * x
x = 0.0654 M = 6.54 cm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you almost got it. you found the immersion depth. how high is the can?

Thanks for letting me know I was on the right track. With that hint, I solved it.

Related to Calculating the Length of a Floating Soda Can

What is fluid displacement?

Fluid displacement is the phenomenon where a moving object or substance pushes aside another fluid in its path, resulting in a change in the volume or shape of the displaced fluid.

How does fluid displacement work?

Fluid displacement works according to Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that when an object is placed in a fluid, it will experience an upward force that is equal to the weight of the fluid it has displaced.

What factors affect fluid displacement?

The amount of fluid displaced by an object depends on the volume and density of the object as well as the density of the fluid. The shape of the object can also affect the amount of fluid displaced, as some shapes are more efficient at displacing fluid than others.

How is fluid displacement used in real life?

Fluid displacement is used in a variety of real-life applications, including shipbuilding, submarine navigation, and hydraulics in machinery. It is also used in medical devices such as syringes and catheters, as well as in airbags in cars.

What is the difference between fluid displacement and fluid mechanics?

Fluid displacement is a specific aspect of fluid mechanics, which is the study of the behavior of fluids at rest or in motion. Fluid mechanics deals with the properties of fluids, such as density and viscosity, while fluid displacement focuses on the displacement of fluids by objects or substances.