Calculating the Length of a Parametric Curve with Integration

In summary: Sorry to bump this up but wolframalpha managed to get the integral of ∫√(1-cos(t))dt = -2cot(t/2)√(1-cos(t)) + C, could anyone explain which substitution they used or whatever? I've tried (and I am still trying) to figure out how they've done...
phospho
THe parametric equations of the curve C are:

x = a(t-sin(t)), y = a(1-cos(t))

where 0 <= t <= 2pi

Find, by using integration, the length of C.

[itex] \dfrac{dx}{dt} = a (1-\cos t) [/itex]
[itex] \dfrac{dy}{dt} = a\sin t [/itex]

[itex] \left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{dy}{dt} \right)^2 = a^2 (1 - 2\cos t + cos^2t + sin^2 t) = 2a^2(1 - \cos t)[/itex]

length of curve = [itex] S = \displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2a^2(1-\cos t)}\ dt = -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{2\pi} [/itex]

evaluating this I get 0... any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
THe parametric equations of the curve C are:

x = a(1-sin(t)), y = a(1-cos(t))

where 0 <= t <= 2pi

Find, by using integration, the length of C.

[itex] \dfrac{dx}{dt} = a (1-\cos t) [/itex]
[itex] \dfrac{dy}{dt} = a\sin t [/itex]

[itex] \left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{dy}{dt} \right)^2 = a^2 (1 - 2\cos t + cos^2t + sin^2 t) = 2a^2(1 - \cos t)[/itex]

length of curve = [itex] S = \displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2a^2(1-\cos t)}\ dt = -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{2\pi} [/itex]

evaluating this I get 0... any help?

Looks to me like dx/dt is wrong. Check it.

Dick said:
Looks to me like dx/dt is wrong. Check it.

Sorry, was a mistype by me of what x is.

phospho said:
Sorry, was a mistype by me of what x is.

Ok, that's better. The answer to a question like this is usually to break the range 0 to 2pi up into smaller parts and add the differences. But how did you get that antiderivative? That doesn't look right at all.

Dick said:
Ok, that's better. The answer to a question like this is usually to break the range 0 to 2pi up into smaller parts and add the differences. But how did you get that antiderivative? That doesn't look right at all.

well I took out the constants 2a^2, that's how I got √2a

I then done: [itex] \int \sqrt{1-\cos t}\ dt [/itex] using the substitution of u = cos(t), getting [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex]

checking, the derivative of [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex] is [itex] \dfrac{sin(t)}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{1-cos^2t}}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \sqrt{1-cos(t)}[/itex]

phospho said:
well I took out the constants 2a^2, that's how I got √2a

I then done: [itex] \int \sqrt{1-\cos t}\ dt [/itex] using the substitution of u = cos(t), getting [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex]

checking, the derivative of [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex] is [itex] \dfrac{sin(t)}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{1-cos^2t}}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \sqrt{1-cos(t)}[/itex]

Oh, yeah, right. I'm glad you spelled that out. What's going on is that ##\sqrt{1-cos^2t}## isn't equal to ##sin(t)##, it's equal to ##|sin(t)|##. You'll need to change the sign of the antiderivative depending on the sign of ##sin(t)##. Split the integral range up appropriately.

Dick said:
Oh, yeah, right. I'm glad you spelled that out. What's going on is that ##\sqrt{1-cos^2t}## isn't equal to ##sin(t)##, it's equal to ##|sin(t)|##. You'll need to change the sign of the antiderivative depending on the sign of ##sin(t)##. Split the integral range up appropriately.

I'm not quite sure what you mean?:

[itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

Do you mean that? (I'm not sure of the answer, so can't check.)

phospho said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean?:

[itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

Do you mean that? (I'm not sure of the answer, so can't check.)

For pi to 2pi the sine is negative. So sqrt(1-cos(t)^2)=(-sin(t)). You need to add an extra minus to the antiderivative in that range.
[itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} +2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

Dick said:
For pi to 2pi the sine is negative. So sqrt(1-cos(t)^2)=(-sin(t)). You need to add an extra minus to the antiderivative in that range.
[itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} +2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

oh I see, thanks!

phospho said:
oh I see, thanks!

You're welcome. The way you were doing it before you were getting a negative contribution to arclength from [pi,2pi] cancelling the positive part [0,pi]. You know that can't happen. arclength is positive everywhere.

Dick said:
You're welcome. The way you were doing it before you were getting a negative contribution to arclength from [pi,2pi] cancelling the positive part [0,pi]. You know that can't happen. arclength is positive everywhere.

Sorry to bump this up but wolframalpha managed to get the integral of ∫√(1-cos(t))dt = -2cot(t/2)√(1-cos(t)) + C, could anyone explain which substitution they used or whatever? I've tried (and I am still trying) to figure out how they've done it.

FAQ: Calculating the Length of a Parametric Curve with Integration

1. How do you calculate the length of a parametric curve?

To calculate the length of a parametric curve, you can use the formula for arc length, which involves taking the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations. This can be written as: L = ∫√(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2)dt, where t is the parameter.

2. Why is integration used to calculate the length of a parametric curve?

Integration is used to calculate the length of a parametric curve because it allows us to find the sum of infinitely small lengths along the curve. By taking the integral, we are essentially adding up all the tiny segments of the curve to get the total length.

3. Can the length of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the length of a parametric curve cannot be negative. The length is always a positive value, as it represents the distance along the curve and cannot have a negative distance.

4. What is the difference between arc length and the length of a parametric curve?

Arc length refers to the distance along a curve, while the length of a parametric curve specifically refers to the length of a curve defined by parametric equations. In other words, the arc length is a general term for any curve, while the length of a parametric curve is a specific calculation for parametric curves.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to calculate the length of a parametric curve?

Yes, there are some limitations to using integration to calculate the length of a parametric curve. Integration may not be possible in some cases, such as when the parametric equations are too complex to integrate. In these cases, numerical methods may need to be used to approximate the length of the curve.