Calculating the magnetic field from the Hall Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a sensor to detect unknown magnetic fields. The sensor uses a rectangular sample of copper with specific dimensions and a current of 2.4 A is applied. The Hall Voltage of 0.1μV is measured, and the goal is to find the magnitude of the magnetic field detected. To solve this, equations for calculating magnetic field and Hall Voltage are used, along with values for density, molar mass, and other constants. The final answer is 8.018 x 10-11T, after correcting a conversion error and using the correct measurement for d.
dvd_247

Homework Statement

You have built a sensor to detect the strength of unknown magnetic fields. You
use a rectangular sample of copper that is 14.2 cm wide and 0.5 cm thick. You apply a
current of 2.4 A to the copper. You know that there is a magnetic field perpendicular
to the current because you measure a Hall Voltage of 0.1μV. What was the magnitude
of the magnetic field that you detected?

Assume that one electron per atom is available for conduction. (2) Copper has a
density of 8.93 g/cm3 and a molar mass of 63.55 g/mol. (3) Remember that 1 mol of any
substance contains 6.02 x1023 atoms (Avogadro’s number).

Homework Equations

q vd B = q EH

VH = EH d = vd B d

n = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A}}{M}[/tex]

B = [tex]\frac{E_{H}}{v_{d}}[/tex]

EH = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{d}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = [tex]\frac{E_{H}}{v_{d}}[/tex]

EH = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{d}[/tex]

Therefore B = [tex]\frac{V_{H}}{v_{d} d}[/tex] ...

If vd = [tex]\frac{I}{n q A}[/tex] ...

Then B = [tex]\frac{n q A V_{H}}{I d}[/tex]

If n = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A}}{M}[/tex]

Then B = [tex]\frac{\rho N_{A} q A V_{H}}{M I d}[/tex]

I worked out the following numbers (I don't know whether my error lies here or not)...

[tex]\rho[/tex] = 8.93 x 10-9 kgm-3
NA = 6.02 x 1023 atoms
q = 1.602 x 10-19 C
A = 14.2 x 10-2 x 0.5 x 10-2 = 7.1 x 10-4m2
VH = 0.1 x 10-6 v
M = 63.55 x 10-3 kgmol-1
I = 2.4 A
d = 0.5 x 10-2 m

I have been stuck on this question for several hours now, and can't see where I'm going wrong. The answer I'm getting is 8.018 x 10-11T, when the answer expected is between 2 and 4 T apparently. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
dvd_247 said:
[tex]\rho[/tex] = 8.93 x 10-9 kgm-3

Check your conversions. Do you really believe that a cube of solid copper one meter on the side has a mass of 8.93 micrograms? :rolleyes:

i've completed the question now, thanks for your help :) it was like you said, my conversion was completely wrong! also i was using the wrong measurement for d, it was in fact " 12.2 x 10-2 and not 0.5 x 10-2

Related to Calculating the magnetic field from the Hall Voltage

1. How is the Hall Voltage calculated?

The Hall Voltage is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the Hall coefficient and the current density.

2. What is the Hall coefficient?

The Hall coefficient is a material property that describes the relationship between the magnetic field strength and the induced voltage in a material.

3. How is the current density determined?

The current density is determined by dividing the electric current by the cross-sectional area of the material.

4. What is the significance of calculating the magnetic field from the Hall Voltage?

Calculating the magnetic field from the Hall Voltage allows us to determine the strength and direction of the magnetic field in a given material, which is important for understanding its properties and potential applications.

5. Are there any limitations to this method of calculating the magnetic field?

Yes, there are limitations to this method as it assumes a linear relationship between the magnetic field strength and the induced voltage, and may not be accurate for materials with non-linear properties or in high magnetic fields.