Calculating the magnetic moment of an electron

In summary, the conversation discussed the computation of the magnetic moment of an electron with uniform mass and charge density, and a rotating radius. While there was some confusion about using the given formula, the solution was eventually found without it.
PsychoDash

Homework Statement

Assume that an electron is a sphere of uniform mass density
[itex]\rho_m=\frac{m_e}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r_e^3}[/itex], uniform charge
density [itex]\rho_e=\frac{-e}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r_e^3}[/itex], and
radius [itex]r_e[/itex] rotating at a frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]
about the z-axis. [tex]m_e=9.109*10^{-31}[/tex] kg and
[tex]e=1.602*10^{-19}[/tex] C

Using the formula [tex]\vec{m}=\frac{1}{2} \int \vec{r} \times
\vec{J(\vec{r})} d\tau[/tex], compute the magnetic moment of this
electron. Your answer should depend on e, [tex]\omega[/tex] and
[tex]r_e[/tex]

Homework Equations

Given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I know that in general, [tex]\vec {J}=\rho_e \vec {v}[/tex]. I'm not sure how to proceed from here since writing J in terms of omega yields [tex]\vec {J}=\frac {\rho_e \omega}{\vec {r}}[/tex]. I've always heard that dividing by a vector is not strictly defined in a math sense. Either I'm not approaching this in the right way, or putting that funkiness into the cross product above yields some magnificence that I am, as of now, incapable of seeing.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah integrating vectors gets really really hairy, when i get home i will help you out. There is a way to define some new quantity "C" per-say and it makes it easier

Unless someone helps you first

The assignment has already been turned in. I ended up just not using the given formula. Got the correct answer, even if not really in the correct way. Thanks though.

Related to Calculating the magnetic moment of an electron

1. How is the magnetic moment of an electron defined?

The magnetic moment of an electron is defined as the measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by the electron's intrinsic magnetic properties. It is represented by the symbol μ and has a value of approximately 9.27 x 10^-24 joule per tesla.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic moment of an electron?

The formula for calculating the magnetic moment of an electron is μ = -(e/2m)e, where e represents the electron charge and m represents the electron's mass. This equation is known as the Landé g-factor and takes into account both the electron's intrinsic magnetic moment and its orbital angular momentum.

3. How is the magnetic moment of an electron measured?

The magnetic moment of an electron can be measured using techniques such as electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods use magnetic fields to manipulate the energy levels of electrons and measure the resulting changes in the electron's magnetic moment.

4. Does the magnetic moment of an electron change?

No, the magnetic moment of an electron is a fundamental property of the electron and does not change. However, the direction of the magnetic moment can be influenced by external magnetic fields.

5. What is the significance of the magnetic moment of an electron?

The magnetic moment of an electron plays a crucial role in the behavior and interactions of atoms and molecules. It is responsible for the phenomenon of magnetism and is essential for understanding various physical and chemical processes, such as electron spin resonance and spin-dependent chemical reactions.

Back