Calculating the mass of a beam of non uniform density.

In summary, the problem involves a thin beam with non-uniform mass density, given by the function ρ=ρo e^αx, where ρo=9.10^3 kg/m3 and α=1/L. The total mass of the beam is found by integrating ρ with respect to x from 0 to 3, resulting in a mass of 6.83 kg. However, it is recommended to work with the algebra first before substituting in values to avoid mistakes.
Craptola
Been doing some physics problems from my mechanics class. This is the first time I've attempted a problem like this and am not so confident with solving it, I could be correct and just being paranoid but I just have a feeling I've made a mistake somewhere, would appreciate if someone who is comfortable with this kind of thing would tell me if/where I'm going wrong.

Homework Statement

Consider a thin beam of length L=3 m, and height and width equal to w= 2 cm and h=2 cm respectively. Assume that the composure of the beam is from a mixture of materials, that have given it a non-uniform mass density, which varies continuously along x [where x represents the coordinate for the direction along the length of the beam, measured from the left edge of the beam]. Assume that such mass density as a function of x is given by:
[tex]\rho = \rho _{0}e^{\alpha x}[/tex]
where ρo= 9.10^3 kg/m3 and α=1/L
Find the total mass for the beam.

Homework Equations

[tex]M=\int_{0}^{3}dm[/tex]

[tex]dm=\rho dv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dv=0.0004dx[/tex]
[tex]\therefore dm=0.0004\rho dx = 3.6e^{-\frac{1}{3}x}dx[/tex]
[tex]M=\int_{0}^{3}dm = 3.6\int_{0}^{3}e^{-\frac{1}{3}x}dx[/tex]
[tex]= -10.8\left ( e^{-1} - 1 \right ) = 6.83kg[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Craptola said:
[tex]dv=0.0004dx[/tex]
It is a good idea to work with the algebra until you have the final formula and only then substitute in the values of the known constants. You're less likely to make a mistake, it's easier to spot where a mistake has been made (e.g. by considering dimensionality) and it's easier for others to follow.
[tex]\therefore dm=0.0004\rho dx = 3.6e^{-\frac{1}{3}x}dx[/tex]
Where did the minus sign come from? Did you omit that in the formula for density?

Otherwise, looks fine.

haruspex said:
Where did the minus sign come from? Did you omit that in the formula for density?

Yeah, that's a typo, thanks for the help.

Related to Calculating the mass of a beam of non uniform density.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass of a beam with non-uniform density?

The formula for calculating mass of a beam with non-uniform density is:
M = ∫ρ(x) * A(x) * dx
Where M is the mass, ρ(x) is the density at a certain point, A(x) is the cross-sectional area at that point, and dx represents the small intervals along the length of the beam. This is known as the integral form of mass calculation.

2. How is the integral form of mass calculation different from the discrete form?

The integral form of mass calculation takes into account the varying density of the beam along its length, while the discrete form only considers the density at specific points along the beam. The integral form is more accurate for beams with non-uniform density.

3. Can the mass of a beam with non-uniform density be calculated using simple addition?

No, the mass of a beam with non-uniform density cannot be calculated by simply adding the masses of its individual sections. This is because the density varies along the length of the beam, so each section will have a different mass.

4. What units should be used for the density and cross-sectional area in the mass calculation formula?

The density should be in units of mass per unit length (e.g. kg/m) and the cross-sectional area should be in squared units of length (e.g. m²). This will result in the mass being calculated in units of mass (e.g. kg).

5. Are there any simplifications that can be made when calculating the mass of a beam with non-uniform density?

In some cases, the density of the beam may vary in a predictable pattern, such as a linear or exponential function. In these cases, mathematical techniques can be used to simplify the integral form of mass calculation. However, in most cases, the full integral form must be used to accurately calculate the mass.