Calculating the maximum velocity & acceleration of a spring mass

In summary, to calculate the frequency of vibration, the equation w=√k/m can be used. To find the maximum velocity and acceleration during the vibration, the equations v=Aw cos(wt+Ø) and a=Aw² sin(wt+Ø) can be used, respectively. The maximum velocity is equal to Aw, and the maximum acceleration is equal to Aw². To find the mass required to produce double the maximum velocity, the equation vmax=Aw can be rearranged to solve for m. No further calculations or manipulations are needed.
hopkid

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.3kg is suspended from a spring of stiffness 200Nm. If the mass is displaced by 10mm from it's equilibrium position and released, for the resulting vibration calculate:

a) the frequency of vibration
b) the maximum velocity of the mass during the vibration
c) the maximum acceleration of the mass during the vibration
d) the mass required to produce double the maximum velocity calculated using the same spring and initial deflection.

Homework Equations

w=√k/m
f=w/2Л
x=Asin(wt+Ø)
v=Aw cos(wt+Ø)
a=Aw² sin(wt+Ø)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used w=√k/m to get w=√200/0.3 w=25.81 rads-1

The used f=w/2Л to get f=25.81/2x3.142 f=4.108 Hz

So i am ok working out the frequency of the vibration but i do not understand how to use the remaining equations to get the next answers, I'm not following the process. I'm not asking for answers here, just for someone to help me understand what i need to do to use these and achieve my answers.

Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] v= A \omega \cdot cos(\omega t)[/tex]
A and omega are constants, so v is at it's max when [tex] cos(\omega t)[/tex] is at it's max

Hi Daniel! :smile:
hopkid said:
x=Asin(wt+Ø)
v=Aw cos(wt+Ø)
a=Aw² sin(wt+Ø)

I don't understand what you're not getting about this …

dumbperson :smile: is correct ……

you have the equations for v and a …

what is the difficulty? :confused:

Thanks for the reply guys...

So, taking v=Aw cos(wt+Ø)

I get v = 0.01 x 25.81 cos(25.81t+Ø)
v= 0.2581 cos(25.81t+Ø)

So multiplying Aw (0.01 x 25.81) gets me 0.2581.

What happens with the second part of the equation cos(25.81t+Ø)?

That's leaving me a little confused.

The cos(and sin) of an angle can vary from a minimum value of zero to a maximum value of one.
It follows that v is a maximum when cos(wt+ phi) has its maximum value.
Similar reasoning can be used to find a max.

Thanks, so is 0.2581 mm/s-1 my final answer for vmax or do i need to work out cos(wt+ phi). If so how do i work out t and phi?

There is no need to do anything else with the angle other than take the maximum value of cos as being equal to one.In other words vmax=Aw.I haven't checked your numbers but you have presented your units incorrectly.

Many thanks for your patience :) Your help is much appreciated!

Related to Calculating the maximum velocity & acceleration of a spring mass

1. How do you calculate the maximum velocity of a spring mass system?

The maximum velocity of a spring mass system can be calculated using the formula v = sqrt(k/m) where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the object attached to the spring.

2. What is the significance of the maximum velocity in a spring mass system?

The maximum velocity is the highest speed that the object attached to the spring can reach during its oscillations. It is important in understanding the behavior and limitations of the system.

3. Can the maximum velocity of a spring mass system be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the maximum velocity can be greater than the initial velocity if the system is subjected to external forces or if the initial velocity is not at the equilibrium position. However, the maximum velocity is limited by the natural frequency of the system.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum velocity in a spring mass system?

The mass of the object has an inverse relationship with the maximum velocity. This means that the lighter the object, the higher the maximum velocity and vice versa.

5. What is the formula for calculating the maximum acceleration in a spring mass system?

The maximum acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (k/m)x, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and x is the distance from equilibrium at which the object is released.