Calculating the moment along a statically indeterminate beam

Once you have that, you can use the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown reactions and then use the moment-area method to calculate the moment at any point along the beam.
mechengineer13

Homework Statement

Cw0D0Oc.png

How could I calculate the piecewise formula for M(x)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From constructing a free body diagram it looks like up until the pin support, M(x) = -Fy*x (Fy being the force pointing upwards at the wall) but I am confused about how to handle the moment at the end in this calculation. Unfortunately the course I am taking assumes I already know how to do this, so I don't have a textbook or anything to rely on.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what the moment diagram looks like at the RHS of the beam with M0 applied there.

In these types of problems, it helps to draw a free body diagram and put in all of the reactions and moments which occur at the supports.

FAQ: Calculating the moment along a statically indeterminate beam

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment along a statically indeterminate beam?

The formula for calculating the moment along a statically indeterminate beam is M = EIδ, where M is the moment, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and δ is the deflection of the beam.

2. How do you determine the value of E and I in the moment formula?

E and I can be determined by the material properties of the beam. E is the measure of a material's ability to resist deformation, and I is a measure of the beam's cross-sectional area.

3. Can the moment formula be used for all types of beams?

Yes, the moment formula can be applied to all types of beams, as long as they are statically indeterminate.

4. How does the degree of indeterminacy affect the calculation of the moment?

The degree of indeterminacy does not affect the calculation of the moment. It only indicates the number of unknown variables in the equations that need to be solved to determine the moment.

5. Are there any assumptions made in calculating the moment along a statically indeterminate beam?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made, such as the beam being in a state of static equilibrium, the material being homogenous and isotropic, and the beam not experiencing any buckling or other structural failures. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world scenarios and should be considered when using the calculated moment values.