Calculating the moment of inertia

In summary: Yes, calculate the moments of inertia separately. The moment of inertia of a spherical ball of mass M about a point a distance R from its center is just like a point mass M located at radius R. That is, MR2.
goomer
I know that for for solid disks, the inertia is equal to (1/2)mr^2 and for hoops is just mr^2. This only works for if the mass is evenly distributed around though. So what about when the mass isn't equally distributed? How would you solve for the moment of inertia of a hollow disk if a small metal ball inside of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
goomer said:
I know that for for solid disks, the inertia is equal to (1/2)mr^2 and for hoops is just mr^2. This only works for if the mass is evenly distributed around though. So what about when the mass isn't equally distributed? How would you solve for the moment of inertia of a hollow disk if a small metal ball inside of it?

You could determine the moment of inertia of the objects separately and add them. The parallel axis theorem may be of use if the object's individual moments of inertia are not co-aligned on the axis of rotation.

gneill said:
You could determine the moment of inertia of the objects separately and add them. The parallel axis theorem may be of use if the object's individual moments of inertia are not co-aligned on the axis of rotation.

We haven't learned about the parallel axis theorem yet, so I don't think I need to use that.

I forgot to mention that there is a rim inside the disk that keeps the ball at a constant distance away from the radius. Sorry! Would you still calculate the moments of inertia separately? How do you do that?

goomer said:
We haven't learned about the parallel axis theorem yet, so I don't think I need to use that.

I forgot to mention that there is a rim inside the disk that keeps the ball at a constant distance away from the radius. Sorry! Would you still calculate the moments of inertia separately? How do you do that?

Yes, calculate the moments of inertia separately. The moment of inertia of a spherical ball of mass M about a point a distance R from its center is just like a point mass M located at radius R. That is, MR2. The moment of inertia of your other object depends upon exactly what it is; is it a hollow disk or a hoop?

There are tables of Moments of Inertia for various objects to be found on the web if you google for it. If you want to determine them from first principles then you'll have to do the calculus. It involves performing an integration for each mass element dm over the volume of the object, determining the moment of inertia for each dm and summing them all up. Your text should have an example or two.

Calculating the moment of inertia for a hollow disk with a small metal ball inside of it requires a different approach than the formulas you have mentioned. When the mass is not evenly distributed, we need to take into account the distribution of mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

To solve for the moment of inertia in this scenario, we can use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a body is equal to the moment of inertia of the body's center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation.

In this case, we would need to calculate the moment of inertia for both the disk and the metal ball separately, using their respective formulas (1/2)mr^2 and mr^2. Then, we can add these two values together, taking into account the distance between the center of mass of the disk and the metal ball and the axis of rotation.

Alternatively, we can also use the general formula for moment of inertia, which takes into account the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. This formula is I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the element of mass dm.

In conclusion, when the mass is not evenly distributed, we need to use the parallel axis theorem or the general formula for moment of inertia to accurately calculate the moment of inertia. It is important to consider the distribution of mass and its distance from the axis of rotation in order to get an accurate result.

Related to Calculating the moment of inertia

What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is important because it helps determine how easily an object can be rotated and how much force is needed to change its angular velocity.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia measures an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while mass measures an object's resistance to changes in linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while mass only considers the total amount of matter in an object.

What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units of mass and distance used in the calculation. In the SI system, the units are kilogram meters squared (kg∙m²). In the CGS system, the units are gram centimeters squared (g∙cm²).

How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object affects its moment of inertia because it influences the distribution of mass. Objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia. This means that for the same mass, a hollow, thin object will have a larger moment of inertia than a solid, compact object.