Calculating the norm of linear, continuous operator

In summary: Look at the norm of ##T_\phi (\phi)##.In summary, the given problem involves proving the linearity and continuity of a given operator T, which is defined as ##T_{\phi}f(x)=f(x)\phi(x)##, where ##X## is a set of continuous functions on the interval [0,1] with a specific norm. The continuity of T is equivalent to its boundedness, and to show this, a constant c is introduced as a lower bound for c. The norm of T is then calculated using the definition ##||T||=inf\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##X=\{f \in C[0,1]: f(1)=0\}## with the ##\|x\|_{\infty}## norm. Let ##\phi \in X## and let ##T_{\phi}:X \to X## given by

##T_{\phi}f(x)=f(x)\phi(x)##.
Prove that ##T## is a linear continuous operator and calculate its norm.

The attempt at a solution.

To check for linearity is pretty simple, for continuity I am not so sure if my proof is correct so I write it just in case:

##T## is continuous if and only if ##T## is bounded. So, I want to prove that there exists ##c>0: \forall f \in X##, ##\|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq c\|f\|_{\infty}##. ##\|T(f)\|_{\infty}=sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)\phi(x)|\leq sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)|sup_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##. As ##[0,1]## is compact, ##sup_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##, if I call ##c=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##, then ##sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)\phi(x)|\leq csup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)|## for every ##f \in X##. It follows that ##T## is bounded ##\implies## ##T## is continuous.

Now, I had problems to calculate the norm of this operator. One of the definition for the norm in the space of linear, continuous operators is ##||T||=inf\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}## (among other equivalent definitions). Sorry if I say something trivially false but I think that ##c=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|## is the norm. I have to prove that ##c## is a lower bound of the set ##\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}## and that it is the upper lower bound.

Here's a tentative solutions after the suggestions:
Lets show that ##c=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|## is a lower bound of the set ##A=\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}##. Let ##M \in A##, then ##\|T(\phi)\|_{\infty}\leq M \|\phi\|_{\infty}##. So ##c^2=sup_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)\phi(x)| \leq Mc \implies c\leq M##. This means that ##c## is a lower bound of ##A##, but ##sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)\phi(x)|\leq csup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)|## for every ##f \in X##, so ##c \in A##. It follows that ##||T||=inf\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}=c##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the norm of ##T_\phi (\phi)##.

Likes 1 person
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##X=\{f \in C[0,1]: f(1)=0\}## with the ##\|x\|_{\infty}## norm. Let ##\phi \in X## and let ##T_{\phi}:X \to X## given by

##T_{\phi}f(x)=f(x)\phi(x)##.
Prove that ##T## is a linear continuous operator and calculate its norm.

The attempt at a solution.

To check for linearity is pretty simple, for continuity I am not so sure if my proof is correct so I write it just in case:

##T## is continuous if and only if ##T## is bounded. So, I want to prove that there exists ##c>0: \forall f \in X##, ##\|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq c\|f\|_{\infty}##. ##\|T(f)\|_{\infty}=sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)\phi(x)|=sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)|sup_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##. As ##X## is compact, ##sup_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##, if I call ##c=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|##, then ##sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)\phi(x)|\leq csup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)|## for every ##f \in X##. It follows that ##T## is bounded ##\implies## ##T## is continuous.

Now, I had problems to calculate the norm of this operator. One of the definition for the norm in the space of linear, continuous operators is ##||T||=inf\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}## (among other equivalent definitions). Sorry if I say something trivially false but I think that ##c=max_{x \in [0,1]}|\phi(x)|## is the norm. I have to prove that ##c## is a lower bound of the set ##\{M: \|T(f)\|_{\infty}\leq M\|f\|_{\infty}\}## and that it is the upper lower bound.

I've never used the fact that every function ##f## in ##X## satisfies ##f(1)=0##, maybe I have to use that in this part of the exercise. Suppose ##\phi## is not the zero function (if not, ##T## would be the zero operator and by properties of the norm,##||T||=0##), ##\phi(1)=0## and there is ##x \in [0,1]: \phi(x)≠0##.

I think your proof has a lot of the right ideas in it. But it's really unclear. And it does contain false statements. ##sup |f \phi| \le sup |f| sup |\phi|##. They aren't equal. And X isn't compact. [0,1] is compact. And LCKurtz has a great hint. And I don't think f(1)=0 has much to do with this part of the exercise. Can you rearrange the whole thing and try again?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Look at the norm of ##T_\phi (\phi)##.

It really helped that hint, thanks!

Dick said:
I think your proof has a lot of the right ideas in it. But it's really unclear. And it does contain false statements. ##sup |f \phi| \le sup |f| sup |\phi|##. They aren't equal. And X isn't compact. [0,1] is compact. And LCKurtz has a great hint. And I don't think f(1)=0 has much to do with this part of the exercise. Can you rearrange the whole thing and try again?

I meant ##[0,1]##, no idea why I wrote ##X##. If the elements of two sets ##A## and ##B## consist of non-negative elements, are you sure that ##sup AB \leq sup A sup B## and not always equal? I'll think about a counterexample to convince myself. In the last part of the exercise I've used that if the elements of ##A## are non-negative numbers, then ##supAA=supAsupA##.

mahler1 said:
I meant ##[0,1]##, no idea why I wrote ##X##. If the elements of two sets ##A## and ##B## consist of non-negative elements, are you sure that ##sup AB \leq sup A sup B## and not always equal? I'll think about a counterexample to convince myself. In the last part of the exercise I've used that if the elements of ##A## are non-negative numbers, then ##supAA=supAsupA##.

I'm absolutely sure. Try f(x)=1-x and g(x)=(1-x)*x. And you are dealing with sup|f|, it doesn't much matter whether anything is nonnegative or not.

Related to Calculating the norm of linear, continuous operator

1. What is the definition of the norm of a linear, continuous operator?

The norm of a linear, continuous operator is a mathematical concept that measures the size or magnitude of the operator. It is analogous to the absolute value of a number and is used to quantify the distance between two points in a vector space.

2. How is the norm of a linear, continuous operator calculated?

The norm of a linear, continuous operator can be calculated using various methods, depending on the specific operator and vector space. In general, it involves finding the supremum of the operator's action on all possible input vectors, or the largest value that the operator can achieve.

3. What is the significance of the norm of a linear, continuous operator?

The norm of a linear, continuous operator is a key concept in functional analysis and is used to study the behavior of operators in vector spaces. It allows for the comparison of different operators and helps in determining their properties, such as boundedness and invertibility.

4. Can the norm of a linear, continuous operator be negative?

No, the norm of a linear, continuous operator is always a non-negative value. This is because it is defined as the distance between two points in a vector space, and distances are always positive values. A negative value for the norm would not make mathematical sense.

5. How does the norm of a linear, continuous operator relate to the concept of convergence?

The norm of a linear, continuous operator is closely related to the concept of convergence. In particular, if a sequence of operators converges, then the norms of those operators also converge. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of operators and their convergence in various applications.