Calculating the order of an element in cycle notation

In summary: Calculate. Suppose you have a k cycle ##\sigma=(n_1,n_2, ..., n_k )##. Then what is ##\sigma(n_1)##? What is ##\sigma^2(n_1)##? Etc.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##g \in S_n## and suppose that we know the cycle notation for ##g##. How can one compute its order without repeatedly composing ##g## with itself?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I took the group ##S_4## and tried formulating a conjecture. I composed several elements, such as (12), (13), (14), (1234), etc., and found that the order (the number of times one has to compose an element with itself to get the identity element) was equal to the length of the cycle minus one. I have been told that this is wrong, and have read elsewhere that the order is simply the length of the cycle.

Why is that so?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##g \in S_n## and suppose that we know the cycle notation for ##g##. How can one compute its order without repeatedly composing ##g## with itself?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I took the group ##S_4## and tried formulating a conjecture. I composed several elements, such as (12), (13), (14), (1234), etc., and found that the order (the number of times one has to compose an element with itself to get the identity element) was equal to the length of the cycle minus one. I have been told that this is wrong, and have read elsewhere that the order is simply the length of the cycle.

Why is that so?

(12) has length 2. (12)(12)=(12)^2=identity. What's the order of (12)?

I figured it would be one, because you only have to compose (12) with itself once.

Bashyboy said:
I figured it would be one, because you only have to compose (12) with itself once.

Composing a function with itself once is taking it to the second power.

Oh, of course: the order is equal to the exponent.

So, how would you go about proving something like this?

Bashyboy said:
So, how would you go about proving something like this?
Calculate. Suppose you have a k cycle ##\sigma=(n_1,n_2, ..., n_k )##. Then what is ##\sigma(n_1)##? What is ##\sigma^2(n_1)##? Etc.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the order of an element in cycle notation

1. How do you calculate the order of an element in cycle notation?

The order of an element in cycle notation is equal to the length of its cycle. For example, if the cycle is (1 2 3), the order is 3. If there are multiple cycles for an element, the order is the least common multiple of the lengths of all the cycles.

2. Can an element have a fractional order in cycle notation?

No, the order of an element in cycle notation must always be a positive integer. This is because the order represents the number of times the element needs to be applied in a sequence to return to its original position.

3. Is it possible for two elements to have the same order in cycle notation?

Yes, it is possible for two elements to have the same order in cycle notation. This can happen if they have the same cycle structure, just in a different order. For example, both (1 2 3) and (3 1 2) have an order of 3.

4. How do you calculate the order of a permutation in cycle notation?

The order of a permutation in cycle notation is equal to the least common multiple of the orders of all its elements. This can be found by calculating the order of each individual element and then finding the least common multiple.

5. Can an element have an order of 1 in cycle notation?

Yes, an element can have an order of 1 in cycle notation. This means that the element is a fixed point and does not move when the permutation is applied. For example, the cycle (1) has an order of 1.