Calculating the Probability of K=3 When Flipping a Coin 6 Times

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting 3 crowns after flipping a coin 6 times with a probability of 0.3 for each crown. The suggested method is to calculate the probability of not achieving 3 crowns and subtracting that from 1. This can be done by considering the possibilities of having 0, 1, or 2 crowns and using the binomial distribution to find their respective probabilities. The final result is the sum of these probabilities for all possible ways to get 3 crowns.
ParisSpart
flipping a coin 6 times and let K be the number of crowns that we have after flipping the coin 6 times. The coin has a probability of 0.3 to get the crown.

P(K=3)=?

if we flip the coin 6 times we will have 31 crowns but how i can estimate this series of crowns?

Physics news on Phys.org
To achieve three here's what you do:

the easy way is to calaulate when we don't achieve three crowns and then subtract 1 from it.

We might not have three crowns if:
1. there was none. which is 0.7^6
2. there was just one crown which is: [tex]{6\choose 1} *0.3*0.7^5[/tex]
3. there were only two crowns which is [tex] {6\choose 2} *0.3^2 * 0.7^4[/tex]

i will sum this? how i can estimate 2 and 3 with nCk ?

i did it but its says that the result its not correct ...

ParisSpart said:
if we flip the coin 6 times we will have 31 crowns but how i can estimate this series of crowns?

I think you mean "...we will have 3 crowns...".

You will have 3 crowns after flipping a coin 6 times in (6 choose 3) different ways, right? And you get a crown with probability p = 0.3, which implies that you will not have a crown with probability q = 1-p = 0.7. Suppose one of the experiments results as HHTTTH (which is one of the (6 choose 3) possible ways to get 3 crowns). The probability of getting this result of the experiment is

[tex]0.3^3\times 0.7^3[/tex]

You have to sum these probabilities for all (6 choose 3) ways.

Your question is just an example for the binomial distribution.

its not correct...

MathematicalPhysicist said:
To achieve three here's what you do:

the easy way is to calaulate when we don't achieve three crowns and then subtract 1 from it.

We might not have three crowns if:
1. there was none. which is 0.7^6
2. there was just one crown which is: [tex]{6\choose 1} *0.3*0.7^5[/tex]
3. there were only two crowns which is [tex] {6\choose 2} *0.3^2 * 0.7^4[/tex]

Your answer finds P(K>=3), but OP asks for P(K=3).

ParisSpart said:
its not correct...

Can you give your reasoning? May I ask what your computational result is?

i found it finaly thanks for help man.

Related to Calculating the Probability of K=3 When Flipping a Coin 6 Times

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of getting exactly 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times?

The formula for calculating the probability of getting exactly 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times is (6 choose 3) x (1/2)^3 x (1/2)^3 = 20/64 = 0.3125 or 31.25%.

2. How does changing the number of times the coin is flipped affect the probability of getting 3 heads?

The probability of getting exactly 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times is the same regardless of the number of times the coin is flipped. The formula remains the same, but the number of possible outcomes will change.

3. Can the probability of getting 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times be higher than 50%?

No, the probability of getting exactly 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times cannot be higher than 50%. This is because there are only 64 possible outcomes when flipping a coin 6 times, and only 20 of those outcomes result in exactly 3 heads.

4. How does using a biased coin affect the probability of getting 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times?

If the coin is biased, meaning it has a higher chance of landing on one side than the other, then the probability of getting 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times will also be affected. The formula for calculating the probability will remain the same, but the probability of getting heads on each flip will change.

5. Is the probability of getting 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times affected by the order in which the heads and tails appear?

No, the probability of getting 3 heads when flipping a coin 6 times is not affected by the order in which the heads and tails appear. This is because each flip of the coin is independent and the probability remains the same regardless of the order of the outcomes.