Calculating the Probability of Pulling a Yellow M&M from Bag 1

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
I will try to provide a summary of the conversation based on the provided information:In summary, there are two bags of M & M chocolates with different color distributions. The first bag contains 20% yellow, 20% red, and 60% green, while the second bag contains 40% yellow, 40% red, and 20% green. The conversation then discusses taking one chocolate from each bag and placing them in a container, with the goal of ending up with one yellow and one green chocolate. The question asks for the probability that the yellow chocolate came from the first bag, using Bayes' theorem. However, without further explanation or intermediate steps, it is difficult to determine where a mistake may have been made.
ParisSpart
Two bags of M & M chocolates are within:

the first 20% yellow, 20% red and 60% green, and
the second 40% yellow, 40% red and 20% green.
Pull a chocolate M & M from each bag and put them in a container. If at the end of the container contains one yellow and one green chocolate then what is the probability that the yellow came from the first bag?

i must use the type of Bayes : P(A/B)=P(AandB)/P(B) like that
(20/100*20/100*20/100)/(20/100*20/100*20/100+20/100*40/100*40/100) but i don't take the correct answer where i did mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that expression? I would expect different factors, but it is hard to see where you made a mistake without intermediate steps or explanations.

Related to Calculating the Probability of Pulling a Yellow M&M from Bag 1

What is the formula for calculating the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1?

The formula for calculating the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 is: P(yellow) = Number of yellow M&Ms in Bag 1 / Total number of M&Ms in Bag 1.

How do you determine the total number of M&Ms in Bag 1?

The total number of M&Ms in Bag 1 can be determined by counting the total number of M&Ms in the bag or by referring to the packaging or label of the bag.

What is the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 if there are 10 yellow M&Ms and 50 total M&Ms?

The probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 would be 10/50, which simplifies to 1/5 or 0.2. This means that there is a 20% chance of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1.

Can the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 change?

Yes, the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 can change if the number of M&Ms in the bag or the number of yellow M&Ms in the bag changes.

Is the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 affected by the order in which the M&Ms are pulled?

No, the probability of pulling a yellow M&M from Bag 1 is not affected by the order in which the M&Ms are pulled. As long as the total number of M&Ms and the number of yellow M&Ms in the bag remain the same, the probability will remain the same regardless of the order of pulling.