Calculating the Radius of Convergence for a Series Using the Ratio Test

In summary, the radius of convergence for the series \Sigma \frac{nx^{2n}}{2^{n}} is \sqrt{2}. The series will converge absolutely when (1/2)x^2 < 1, diverge when (1/2)x^2 > 1, and may converge conditionally or diverge when (1/2)x^2 = 1. The interval of convergence is (-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}).
BoundByAxioms

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence for [tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]\frac{nx^{2n}}{2^{n}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply the ratio test to get [tex]\frac{(n+1)(x^{2})}{2n}[/tex]. I let n approach infinity, to get [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. So, this series converges when |x2|<1. So, I have -1<x2<1. Now I'm lost, where can I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that should be x^2 < 2 actually. Since it will converge if x^2 / 2 is less than 1.Also, I don't believe you need to make it absolute value of x^2 since x^2 will always be positive.

Last edited:
Lamoid said:
I think that should be x^2 < 2 actually. Since it will converge if x^2 / 2 is less than 1.Also, I don't believe you need to make it absolute value of x^2 since x^2 will always be positive.

So it converges on this interval (-[tex]\infty[/tex],2)?

Remember you have x^2 < 2. Just solve it for x. And about that absolute value thing, disregard what I said.

Lamoid said:
Remember you have x^2 < 2. Just solve it for x. And about that absolute value thing, disregard what I said.

So, I get x<[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] (I know that doesn't make sense).

BoundByAxioms said:
So, I get x<[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] (I know that doesn't make sense).

Ok, well my instruction in my first post to remove the absolute value signs was dumb. If you take the root of both sides you get root of x^2 < root of 2. Remember that the root of x^2 is the absolute value of x anyway. So you see why what I told you was such a waste of time?

To clarify, you have:

[tex]\left|x^{2}\right|<2[/tex] then

[tex]\left|x\right|<\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Lamoid said:
Ok, well my instruction in my first post to remove the absolute value signs was dumb. If you take the root of both sides you get root of x^2 < root of 2. Remember that the root of x^2 is the absolute value of x anyway. So you see why what I told you was such a waste of time?

To clarify, you have:

[tex]\left|x^{2}\right|<2[/tex] then

[tex]\left|x\right|<\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Ok I'm feeling pretty dense right now, so I'm going to say the radius is -[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]<x<[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]?

Lamoid said:
This is why I don't stay up to 3 AM. I don't know why I said to take the root. You would only do that if you wanted the interval of convergence. You don't have to take the root. You just want to leave it as absolute x^2 < 2. Thus you say the radius of C is 2.
Haha, ok thank you! I see your an east coaster, lol. For me it's only 12.

Just to clarify, I have no idea what I am talking about and should stop clarifying. I was right originally! It SHOULD be absolute x is less than root 2. You DO need need the radius to be in terms of x to the power of one. Live and learn. My apologies, I am watching a debate with creationists I could send you if you require me to make ammends.

The instruction to take the root originally was correct. That is because the "2" in the exponent of x.

By the ratio test we must have
[tex]\frac{(n+1)|x|^{2(n+1)}}{2^{n+1}}\frac{2^n}{n|x|^n}= \frac{n+1}{n}\cdot\frac{1}{2}|x|^n< 1[/tex]

The limit of that is not "1/2", it is (1/2)|x|2 which must be less than 1: (1/2)|x|2< 1 so |x|2< 2 and [itex]|x|< \sqrt{2}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The instruction to take the root originally was correct. That is because the "2" in the exponent of x.

By the ratio test we must have
[tex]\frac{(n+1)|x|^{2(n+1)}}{2^{n+1}}\frac{2^n}{n|x|^n}= \frac{n+1}{n}\cdot\frac{1}{2}|x|^n< 1[/tex]

The limit of that is not "1/2", it is (1/2)|x|2 which must be less than 1: (1/2)|x|2< 1 so |x|2< 2 and [itex]|x|< \sqrt{2}[/itex].

Ok thank you. So because it is a power series, it will converge when [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]|x2|<1, and diverge when [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]|x2|>1.

Last edited:
More correctly, it will converge absolutely for for (1/2)x2|< 1, diverge for (1/2)x2|> 1 and may converge conditionally or diverge when (1/2)x2|= 1.

That is, of course, because the ratio test says that a sum, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/itex] of positive numbers will converge if [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n< 1[/itex] converge for [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n >1[/itex] and may converge or diverge if that limit is 1.

HallsofIvy said:
More correctly, it will converge absolutely for for (1/2)x2|< 1, diverge for (1/2)x2|> 1 and may converge conditionally or diverge when (1/2)x2|= 1.

That is, of course, because the ratio test says that a sum, [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n[/itex] of positive numbers will converge if [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n< 1[/itex] converge for [itex]lim a_{n+1}/a_n >1[/itex] and may converge or diverge if that limit is 1.

Ok great! Thank you for the clarification.

And, by the way, "the radius is [tex]-\sqrt{2}< x< \sqrt{2}[/tex]" is wrong. That is the interval of convergence. The radius of convergence is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
And, by the way, "the radius is [tex]-\sqrt{2}< x< \sqrt{2}[/tex]" is wrong. That is the interval of convergence. The radius of convergence is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

That makes sense. Thanks.

FAQ: Calculating the Radius of Convergence for a Series Using the Ratio Test

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the range of values for which a power series converges. It is represented by the letter "R" and is usually expressed in terms of a distance or a number.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is usually calculated using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the ratio or the root of the terms in the power series to determine whether it converges or diverges.

Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it helps us determine the validity and the behavior of a power series. It also allows us to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and perform other mathematical operations.

What happens when the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the power series converges for all values of the variable. This is also known as a "convergent series" and is considered to be the best case scenario for a power series.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero. This is because the radius represents a distance or a number, which cannot be negative. However, the center of convergence can be negative as it is just a point on the number line.