Calculating the Slope of the IS-curve - Hint Included!

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the IS-curve is described by the equation $Y=C(Y)+I(r)+\overline{G}$ and we want to calculate the slope $\frac{dr}{dY}$. We can use the total differential to solve for this, treating $Y$ as a function of all other variables and $r$ as a function of all other variables. Ultimately, we can write the derivative as $\frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r)}$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have that the IS- curve is described by $$Y=C(Y)+I(r)+\overline{G}$$
I want to calculate the slope $\frac{dr}{dY}$ of the IS-curve.

How could we calculate that? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have that the IS- curve is described by $$Y=C(Y)+I(r)+\overline{G}$$
I want to calculate the slope $\frac{dr}{dY}$ of the IS-curve.

How could we calculate that? Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

Hi mathmari! (Smile)

Perhaps we can take the total differential?

That is:
$$dY=C'(Y)dY + I'(r)dr \quad\Rightarrow\quad
dY(1-C'(Y))=I'(r)dr \quad\Rightarrow\quad
\d r Y = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r)}
$$

I like Serena said:
Perhaps we can take the total differential?

That is:
$$dY=C'(Y)dY + I'(r)dr \quad\Rightarrow\quad
dY(1-C'(Y))=I'(r)dr \quad\Rightarrow\quad
\d r Y = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r)}
$$

The total differential of $f$ is $$df=\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_i}}dx_i$$

In ths case which is the function $f$ ? Do we define a function $f(Y,r)=Y-C(Y)-I(r)-\overline{G}$ ? Or is the function is this case $Y$ ? (Wondering)

How do we know that we have to use in this case the total differential? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The total differential of $f$ is $$df=\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_i}}dx_i$$

In ths case which is the function $f$ ? Do we define a function $f(Y,r)=Y-C(Y)-I(r)-\overline{G}$ ? Or is the function is this case $Y$ ? (Wondering)

How do we know that we have to use in this case the total differential? (Wondering)

Let me put it differently.

Since we want the derivative of $r$ with respect to $Y$, we're talking about the function $r(Y)$.
That means we can write the equation as:
$$Y=C(Y)+I(r(Y))+\overline{G}$$
When we take the derivative of both sides with respect to $Y$ we get:
$$1=C'(Y)+I'(r(Y))\d r Y \quad\Rightarrow\quad \d r Y = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r(Y))} = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r)}$$

As for the total differential, we treat $Y$ as a function of all other variables, that is $Y=Y(r)$, and $r$ as a function of all other variables as well, that is $r=r(Y)$.
Note that $Y(r)$ is simply the inverse of $r(Y)$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Let me put it differently.

Since we want the derivative of $r$ with respect to $Y$, we're talking about the function $r(Y)$.
That means we can write the equation as:
$$Y=C(Y)+I(r(Y))+\overline{G}$$
When we take the derivative of both sides with respect to $Y$ we get:
$$1=C'(Y)+I'(r(Y))\d r Y \quad\Rightarrow\quad \d r Y = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r(Y))} = \frac{1-C'(Y)}{I'(r)}$$

As for the total differential, we treat $Y$ as a function of all other variables, that is $Y=Y(r)$, and $r$ as a function of all other variables as well, that is $r=r(Y)$.
Note that $Y(r)$ is simply the inverse of $r(Y)$. (Thinking)

I got it! Thank you so much! (Mmm)

Related to Calculating the Slope of the IS-curve - Hint Included!

What is the IS-curve?

The IS-curve, or investment-savings curve, is a graphical representation of the relationship between national income and interest rates in an economy. It shows the level of national income at which total spending (investment and savings) is equal to output.

How do you calculate the slope of the IS-curve?

The slope of the IS-curve can be calculated by taking the change in national income divided by the change in interest rates. This is also known as the marginal propensity to invest.

Why is the slope of the IS-curve important?

The slope of the IS-curve is important because it shows the sensitivity of investment and savings to changes in national income and interest rates. It can also help predict the impact of fiscal and monetary policies on the economy.

How does the slope of the IS-curve change?

The slope of the IS-curve can change due to shifts in investment and savings behavior, changes in government policies, or changes in external factors such as global economic conditions.

What are some limitations of using the IS-curve?

The IS-curve is a simplified model of the economy and does not take into account all factors that may influence investment and savings. It also assumes a constant price level, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the IS-curve does not account for international trade and capital flows.