Calculating the Speed of a Bird Flying at an Angle

In summary, a man on the ground is running at 120m/hour and sees a bird flying at an angle of 60 degrees with horizontal. The man is able to stay directly below the bird. This information can be used to find the bird's actual velocity. The man's speed and angle provide enough information to calculate the bird's velocity. The person asking the question should provide their own efforts and a diagram to show their understanding of the problem.
shehri
Hi friends,
Plz. point me how to find the following:

A man on the ground sees a bird flying at angle of 60 degrees with horizontal.He started running at 120m/hour,is able to stay directly below the bird.What's bird speed?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
IF the man is running at 120 metres/hr stays directly below the bird, what does that say about the horizontal component of the birds velocity? Given this and the angle, can you find it's actual velocity?

edit: sorry, I shouldn't really have helped withour seeing your efforts first-PF rules.. I don't know what came over me! In future please use the homework posting template with which you were provided.

Last edited:
Have you drawn a diagram?

Show us any effort you have made?

Related to Calculating the Speed of a Bird Flying at an Angle

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a bird flying at an angle?

The formula for calculating the speed of a bird flying at an angle is: speed = distance / time. This is the same formula used to calculate the speed of any object in motion.

2. How do I measure the distance traveled by a bird flying at an angle?

To measure the distance traveled by a bird flying at an angle, you will need to use a measuring tool such as a tape measure or ruler. First, determine the starting point and ending point of the bird's flight path. Then, measure the distance between these two points in a straight line.

3. What unit of measurement should I use for calculating the speed of a bird flying at an angle?

The unit of measurement used for calculating the speed of a bird flying at an angle is typically meters per second (m/s). However, you can also use other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) depending on your preference.

4. How do I calculate the time it takes for a bird to fly at an angle?

The time it takes for a bird to fly at an angle can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the bird by its speed. The resulting value will be in seconds. If you want to convert it to minutes or hours, you can do so by dividing it by 60 or 3600, respectively.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate the speed of any bird flying at any angle?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the speed of any bird flying at any angle as long as you have accurate measurements of the distance traveled and the time it took for the bird to fly that distance. However, factors such as wind and air resistance may affect the accuracy of the calculation.