Calculating the Speed of an Electromagnetic Wave: Basic Physics Question

In summary, The conversation is about a basic physics question regarding the speed of an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of 7.8x10-10 Hz. The formula C=λv (C= speed of light, λ= wavelength, v=frequency) is typically used to solve this type of problem. However, the answer is a trick question as electromagnetic waves always travel at the speed of light (~3x108 m/s) in vacuum.
SMA_01
Basic physics question?

Homework Statement

My younger sister has a problem stated:

"An electromagnetic wave is found to have a frequency of 7.8x10-10 Hz. What is the speed of the wave?"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been a while since I have done this, and I'm a little confused. I know that you typically use the formula: C=λv (C= speed of light, λ= wavelength, v=frequency). I'm not sure, but I was thinking maybe it's a trick question, because I thought electromagnetic waves all travel at the speed of light (~3x108 m/s). Am I correct in assuming this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, I think you are right, it is a trick question, since the speed of light in vacuum is always ~3x108m/s

Related to Calculating the Speed of an Electromagnetic Wave: Basic Physics Question

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of both the speed and direction of an object's movement.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How is energy related to work?

Energy is the ability to do work. Work is done when a force is applied to an object and the object is moved in the direction of the force.

5. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.