Calculating the Stark Effect (Spectral line splitting)?

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the Stark effect for different atoms and molecules. The equation for calculating the Stark effect is not the same for every atom and it requires knowledge in physics and mathematics. The conversation also includes a request for help in understanding and calculating the Stark effect and a discussion about the challenges involved in finding relevant materials and formulas for this topic.
HMS-776
Is the equation for calculating the Stark effect the same for every atom?

I am trying to understand how to calculate the Stark effect for Oxygen but do not understand the formula.

Can someone please explain and show me how to calculate the Stark effect?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in practically every good textbook on quantum mechanics. There's also the wikipedia page, or the hyperphysics page.

Have you studied the prerequisite physics and math to learn this stuff? If you don't understand what the equations are supposed to mean, I'd have to think the answer to that is 'no'. In which case, why would you expect to understand it? And what would you expect people to do? Give a whole undergraduate course in physics within a forum thread?

Yes you're right.

I know very little physics, which is why I'm here. I am trying to determine which
wavelength(s) are needed to excite the oxygen atom to it's 4th energy level in a high voltage field containing plasma and ambient air.

The high voltage field is around 20kV. I need to first determine the V/cm. I know that the stark effect causes spectral line splitting. And the higher the e field the more splitting will be. I am just trying to determine or at least estimate what wavelengths I would need.

I know this in most cases would take more knowledge than I currently have to figure out, so I am trying to enlist the help of others.

Last edited:
HMS-776 said:
Is the equation for calculating the Stark effect the same for every atom?

I am trying to understand how to calculate the Stark effect for Oxygen but do not understand the formula.

Can someone please explain and show me how to calculate the Stark effect?

It would be greatly appreciated!

I am sure, you have many books or papers on the Stark effect.Now I am study the Stark effect too, but I find it is hard to find relative materials on it. Would you send some specially that one include the formula you mentioned above. Thank you.
My email dress is: wengguofeng@hotmail.com

There's no formula for calculating the Stark effect.

Think about it? There's no simple formula for calculating the electronic levels of an atom or molecule without an electrical field. There's not going to be one with a field. It's very difficult.

Here's an model approach, which I guess should at least show some of the difficulties involved:
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0402051

alxm said:
There's no formula for calculating the Stark effect.

Think about it? There's no simple formula for calculating the electronic levels of an atom or molecule without an electrical field. There's not going to be one with a field. It's very difficult.

Here's an model approach, which I guess should at least show some of the difficulties involved:
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0402051

Thank you for you indication, I will reconsider it.

FAQ: Calculating the Stark Effect (Spectral line splitting)?

1. What is the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect is a phenomenon observed in the atomic spectra of an atom when it is placed in an external electric field. It causes the spectral lines to split into multiple lines, which can be used to study the behavior of atoms in electric fields.

2. How is the Stark Effect calculated?

The Stark Effect is calculated by using the energy level equation, which takes into account the energy levels of the atom, the external electric field strength, and the quantum numbers of the electron. This equation can be solved to determine the energy shifts and the splitting of spectral lines.

3. What factors influence the Stark Effect?

The strength of the external electric field, the energy levels of the atom, and the quantum numbers of the electron are the main factors that influence the Stark Effect. Additionally, the orientation of the electric field with respect to the atom and the presence of other nearby atoms can also affect the Stark Effect.

4. How is the Stark Effect used in scientific research?

The Stark Effect is used in various fields of research, such as atomic and molecular physics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. It provides valuable information about the behavior of atoms and molecules in electric fields, and it can also be used to study the properties of materials and their interactions with electric fields.

5. Can the Stark Effect be observed in everyday life?

While the Stark Effect is not directly observable in everyday life, it plays a crucial role in technologies such as lasers, plasma displays, and atomic clocks. The understanding and manipulation of the Stark Effect have also contributed to advancements in fields such as telecommunications and energy production.