Calculating the Sum of a Series with Sigma Notation

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about finding the sum of a series, using the fact that the sum of consecutive numbers starting from a certain number can be expressed as the sum of the starting number and the number of terms that follow. The conversation also includes clarifications on the use of variables and the correct approach to solving the problem.
xLaser
----
\
/ 1 <- *note: the 1 should be more to the right.
----
N=3

Ok, this might be dumb :blushing: , but it think the answer for this is 1 but I'm just making sure.

cuz i know that for example if it is

----
\
/ N <- *note: the N should be more to the right.
----
N=3

the answer would be 3+4+5+6+7

but if it is just a 1 there, then is it just 1? i mean the N doesn't really matter because N isn't present as a variable on the right side.

Thx guy,

Mike.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the answer is not 1.

Here, try this : find

[tex]\sum_{N=3}^7 (N+1)[/tex]
and use the fact that this should be equal to [tex]\sum_{N=3}^7 N + \sum_{N=3}^7 1[/tex].

From this you can find the last term, which is the one you want.

Last edited:
wouldn't that be :

(3+4+5+6+7)+(1) ??

because

----
\
----
N=3

is = to 1 no matter what since there is no variable there?@@#%?!

When N=3, what is (N+1) = ? And what about when N= 4 ? ...

ok i get your question above, but how about if it is
----
\
----
N=3

by itself? this sigma by itself would just mean 1 rite?

and it doesn't have to be limited to 1 only, what about if it is 2 there, or 3, or 4..? There is no variable N there so the N shouldn't really do anything... for any value of N the value would still be the number on the right?! doesn't that make sense?

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook i just figured it out.

for

----
\
----
N=3

it actually means t1 + t2 + t3 + t4

where t1 = 1, t2 =1 and so on,

therefore, the answer should be

1+1+1+1 = 4 !

is that rite Gokul43201

It's not 4 either, but you're closer.

Let [tex]t_i=1[/tex] for all values of i. Your sum is

[tex]\sum_{i=3}^{7}t_i=t_3+t_4+t_5+t_6+t_7[/tex]

Note that you had missed a term when you rewrote it as t1+t2+t3+t4. There are actually 5, not 4, terms in this sum. If you are going to change the index variables starting point, make sure you adjust the end carefully as well.

aah ok thanks a lot m8.

Related to Calculating the Sum of a Series with Sigma Notation

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical shorthand for representing the sum of a sequence of numbers. It uses the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to indicate the beginning of the notation and includes a variable, the starting and ending values for the variable, and the expression to be summed.

2. How do I read or interpret sigma notation?

To read or interpret sigma notation, start by identifying the variable (usually represented by an index) and the starting and ending values for the variable. Then, plug in each value of the variable into the expression and sum them up. The resulting number is the value of the sigma notation.

3. Can sigma notation be used to represent infinite sums?

Yes, sigma notation can be used to represent infinite sums. In this case, the lower limit of the notation would be a negative infinity symbol (−∞) and the upper limit would be a positive infinity symbol (+∞). However, not all infinite sums can be represented by sigma notation.

4. What are some common uses of sigma notation?

Sigma notation is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent sums of sequences, such as series, sequences of partial sums, and sums of products. It is also used in statistics to represent the sum of squared deviations from the mean.

5. How can I simplify or evaluate a sigma notation expression?

To simplify or evaluate a sigma notation expression, you can use various mathematical techniques such as expanding the expression, using algebraic identities, or using known summation formulas. If the expression is a finite sum, you can also use a calculator or computer program to compute the value.