Calculating the Time Difference in Special Relativity: Alphonse's Joy Ride

In summary: You're welcome!In summary, Alphonse's twin brother Carl questions how long Alphonse has been gone for a joy ride in his Astro-Scooter, maintaining a speed of 0.604 c. After converting the 6.53 years into seconds and plugging it into the formula, the answer for To came out to be 2.58E9 seconds. However, after accounting for the possibility that the online assignment accepts years as a unit, the correct answer is 2.59E9 seconds.
Curious&TheNon

Homework Statement

Alphonse decides to go for a joy ride in his Astro-Scooter. He maintains a speed of 0.604 c and is gone for 6.53 years according to his ship's clock. His twin brother Carl says he is full of beans. According to Carl, how long has Alphonse been gone?
To=?
T=6.53 years?
v=0.604c
c=3*10^8

Homework Equations

T= To/ (Sqrt of (1- v^2 / c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So first i noticed i had to convert the years into seconds because the other variables were in seconds (m/s). So i multiplied 6.53 by 365*24*60*60 to make it into seconds (205930080sec). Which then i plugged it into the formula as T. As for the velocity and the speed of light, the "c" cancels out because the velocity it measured by a fraction of the speed of light so then it would only look like this Sqrt of (1-0.604^2 ) for the denominator. I then multiplied the "T" by the denominator of "To" to get To by itself. The answer came out to be 164123044 seconds however i still got it wrong. Then i tried the other way where this time "T" was To , which came out to be 2583866150.5 seconds but still wrong, I am not sure which variable is right and what i mis calculated. Help is appreciated thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, ##\frac{v^2} { c^2}## is just a ratio. So you need not change the unit in this problem.

arpon said:
Look, ##\frac{v^2} { c^2}## is just a ratio. So you need not change the unit in this problem.
My online assignment doesn't accept years as a unit though, only hours, minutes and seconds :/

Curious&TheNon said:
Is that exactly what you entered? You seem to have an extra digit in there.

haruspex said:
Is that exactly what you entered? You seem to have an extra digit in there.
No not exactly i had to put it in sig figs which was three, so it came out to be 2.58E9. Ignore the extra digit my bad X)

Curious&TheNon said:
No not exactly i had to put it in sig figs which was three, so it came out to be 2.58E9. Ignore the extra digit my bad X)
I wouldn't have affect the answer anyways

Curious&TheNon said:
I wouldn't have affect the answer anyways
It would, since what you first posted was 10 times too much.

Oh, thought you were talking about the decimal place, my bad. Anyways got 258386615.5 , just tried entering it again, however still wrong :/ Thanks for the header though! :)

Curious&TheNon said:
Oh, thought you were talking about the decimal place, my bad. Anyways got 258386615.5 , just tried entering it again, however still wrong :/ Thanks for the header though! :) that was probably a typo x)

Curious&TheNon said:
Oh, thought you were talking about the decimal place, my bad. Anyways got 258386615.5 , just tried entering it again, however still wrong :/ Thanks for the header though! :)
Then I'm stumped. 2.58E9 seconds looks right to me. Maybe... if you allow a year as 365.25 days, it just tips over to 2.59E9.

haruspex said:
Then I'm stumped. 2.58E9 seconds looks right to me. Maybe... if you allow a year as 365.25 days, it just tips over to 2.59E9.
Yeah still wrong dam i guess ill just ask my physics teacher about it this coming tuesday ill keep you posted hahaha thanks anyways though! :)

Turns out the online assignment didnt mention they took years, so my physics teacher forgot to mention he customized the answer to accept it in years as well. Problem solved thanks!

Curious&TheNon said:
Turns out the online assignment didnt mention they took years, so my physics teacher forgot to mention he customized the answer to accept it in years as well. Problem solved thanks!
Thanks for letting me know.

Related to Calculating the Time Difference in Special Relativity: Alphonse's Joy Ride

1. What is the theory of Special Relativity?

The theory of Special Relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Special Relativity supersedes Newton's laws of motion by providing a more accurate description of the laws of physics at high speeds and in situations where gravity is not a significant factor.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in Special Relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon that occurs when an object is moving at high speeds, causing time to appear to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer. This is a result of the constant speed of light in a vacuum, as described by Special Relativity.

4. Can Special Relativity be experimentally proven?

Yes, Special Relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the Hafele-Keating experiment. These experiments have shown that the predictions of Special Relativity are consistent with the laws of physics.

5. How does Special Relativity relate to the concept of space-time?

Special Relativity describes space and time as being interconnected and forming a single entity known as space-time. This concept is essential in understanding the effects of high speeds and gravity on the measurements of space and time.