Calculating the trajectory of an object into a force field

In summary, calculating the trajectory of an object requires writing and solving equations of motion, which can be done analytically in some cases but often must be solved numerically for arbitrary potentials. This process is covered in mechanics textbooks and online courses. However, for more complex situations, such as a gravitational field with a single spherically symmetric mass, the equations can be reframed to simplify the problem. In general, the equations are coupled and non-linear, making them difficult to solve, so numerical techniques are often used.
Vicara
How can I calculate the trajectory of an object knowing the initial conditions and the function F(x,y)?
For example, a object orbiting a planet or two electric charges orbiting each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write the equations of motion and solve them. In some cases, an analytical solution is possible, but for an arbitrary potential they must be solved numerically.

DrClaude said:
You need to write the equations of motion and solve them. In some cases, an analytical solution is possible, but for an arbitrary potential they must be solved numerically.
For example, in the case of gravity, with the Newton's law of gravity, it can be integrated to obtain a formula for te velocity but it is not going to be vectorial (as far as I know) and I was going for a formula that gives you r(t) (being r the vector radious)...

Vicara said:
For example, in the case of gravity, with the Newton's law of gravity, it can be integrated to obtain a formula for te velocity but it is not going to be vectorial (as far as I know) and I was going for a formula that gives you r(t) (being r the vector radious)...

This will be covered in any mechanics textbook or course. There are online courses like the Khan Academy or try an undergraduate mechanics textbook.

Vicara said:
The special thing about the gravitational field of a single spherically symmetric mass is that the force is always radial, so the angular momentum of a negligible-mass body in the field is constant and ##\theta (t) ## is a function of ##r (t)## and the initial angular momentum and nothing else. The full answer is still a 2d curve (well, 3d, but you can always pick coordinates so that the orbit lies in their equatorial plane and the "latitude" coordinate is constant), but you only need the radial component (plus conservation laws) to completely characterise the orbit.

This is an example of a situation that can be reframed in a manageable way. As @DrClaude notes, in general this is not possible and you just need to go for a numeric solution.

Lets do a generic treatment of the problem in 3D space using Newtonian mechanics.

Suppose the vector field in cartesian coordinates is ##\vec{F}(x,y,z,t)=(F_x(x,y,z,t),F_y(x,y,z,t),F_z(x,y,z,t))##. ( I took the field to have 3 components one in each axis and also that the field is time-dependent.).

then from Newton's 2nd law ##\vec{F}=m\frac{d^2\vec{r}}{dt^2}## where ##\vec{r}=(x(t),y(t),z(t))## the position vector of the object at time t, and treating the law component-wise we get the following 3 equations (assuming for simplicity that m=1):

##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}=F_x(x(t),y(t),z(t),t) (1)##
##\frac{d^2y(t)}{dt^2}=F_y(x(t),y(t),z(t),t) (2)##
##\frac{d^2z(t)}{dt^2}=F_z(x(t),y(t),z(t),t) (3)##

As you can see the 3 differential equations (that are linear regarding their left hand side)

are coupled, meaning for example that x(t) depends also from y(t) and z(t),

and in the right hand side of the equations, that each coordinate appears as argument inside the function of each component of the field , for example in 1st equation x(t) appears inside ##F_x## as its first argument. This fact might make the differential equation non-linear depending what is the form of ##F_x,F_y,F_z## and non-linear differential equations are much harder to solve than linear ones.

These two things make the equations hard to solve even for relatively simple expressions for the components of the field, so quite often we have to resort to numerical solution techniques.

Likes berkeman and Vicara
Delta² said:
This fact might make the differential equation non-linear depending what is the form of ##F_x,F_y,F_z## and non-linear differential equations are much harder to solve than linear ones.

These two things make the equations hard to solve even for relatively simple expressions for the components of the field, so quite often we have to resort to numerical solution techniques.

It looks harder to solve that I initially thought it would be... Thanks to all for answering

Related to Calculating the trajectory of an object into a force field

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of an object into a force field?

To calculate the trajectory of an object into a force field, you need to know the initial velocity and position of the object, the strength and direction of the force field, and the mass of the object. Using these variables, you can apply Newton's laws of motion and equations of motion to determine the path of the object.

2. What is a force field?

A force field is an area or region in which a force is exerted on objects within that space. This force can be caused by a physical object, such as a magnet, or a non-physical entity, such as an electric or gravitational field.

3. How does the strength of a force field affect the trajectory of an object?

The strength of a force field directly affects the acceleration of an object in that field. The stronger the force field, the greater the acceleration and therefore, the more curved the trajectory of the object will be.

4. Can the trajectory of an object into a force field be predicted accurately?

The trajectory of an object into a force field can be predicted with a high level of accuracy, as long as all the necessary variables are known and accounted for in the calculations. However, there may be some margin of error due to external factors such as air resistance or other forces acting on the object.

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the trajectory of an object into a force field?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for calculating the trajectory of an object into a force field. For example, it can be used in space exploration to predict the path of a spacecraft in a planetary or solar system's gravitational field. It is also used in engineering to design and test structures that can withstand different forces, such as wind or water currents.