Calculating the translation force on a cam follower

In summary, calculating the translation force on a cam follower involves determining the distance between the cam center and the cam follower center, as well as the angle of rotation and the radius of the cam. The force can be calculated using the formula F = R x cos(θ), where F is the translation force, R is the radius of the cam, and θ is the angle of rotation. This calculation is important in designing and optimizing cam systems, as it ensures the proper movement and performance of the cam follower.
T=FxR
Hi all,

I have been trying to solve this problem, I basically have a cam that's pushing up a follower and I was wondering if someone could check my work

So from the diagram below I have a force acting on the follower at a 77.6 deg angle.

So I did Fy = F x Sin(12.4deg) = 1.012 lbf, Then I subtract the weight of the follower from the froce netF= .027lbf - 1.012lbf = .986 lbf

Heres a FBD
http://imageshack.us/a/img594/1393/90053966.jpg

hopefully this makes sense, thanks for checking my work its been a long time since I've had a problem like this so my memory isn't so good. Not sure if I posted this in the right section, thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This has been moved to the HW/Coursework forum even though it isn't formally a HW/Coursework forum. This is because it is of the same TYPE of problem, and there are many excellent people here that will be able to help you with that.

Zz.

A cam follower follows a prescribed kinematic motion so any net force on the follower is going to have to take that into account.

For example, the vertical acceleration of the follower is determined by the angular rotation and shape of the cam pushing the follower upward.

I'm not an ME so you'll have to think on that and see if it rings any bells but what you've drawn is a follower with a certain net force upward that will cause an upward acceleration that I don't see (from your diagram) will match the cam shape.

Last edited:
Fy = F x Sin(12.4deg) = 1.012 lbf

Looks ok.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work and question with us. It looks like you have correctly calculated the translation force on the cam follower. Your approach of using the force balance equation (Fy = F x Sin(12.4deg)) is correct and your final answer of 0.986 lbf also seems reasonable. It's always a good idea to double check your work and it looks like you have done so by subtracting the weight of the follower from the net force.

One suggestion I have is to include units in your calculations to make sure your final answer has the correct units as well. In this case, since you are working with forces, the units should be in pounds (lbf).

Overall, your work looks good and I would say you have solved the problem correctly. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating the translation force on a cam follower

1. What is a cam follower?

A cam follower is a mechanical component that follows the profile of a cam and is used to transmit motion or force.

2. How is the translation force on a cam follower calculated?

The translation force on a cam follower is calculated by multiplying the force acting on the cam by the sine of the angle between the line of action of the force and the direction of motion of the follower.

3. What factors affect the translation force on a cam follower?

The translation force on a cam follower is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the cam, the angle between the force and the direction of motion, the geometry of the cam and follower, and the coefficient of friction between them.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the translation force on a cam follower?

A higher coefficient of friction between the cam and follower will result in a higher translation force on the follower due to increased resistance to motion.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the translation force on a cam follower?

Calculating the translation force on a cam follower is important in designing and analyzing cam mechanisms to ensure that the follower can withstand the expected forces and motion without failure.