Calculating the value of R in a circuit

In summary: So, the correct answer is:In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the goal is to calculate the value of R using the given values for current, emf, and resistance. The conversation includes a solution attempt, an equation for finding R, and a discussion about potential difference and battery polarity. The correct value for R is determined to be 14 ohm.
cseil

Homework Statement

I have drawn the circuit.
I want to calculate the value of R, knowing that

i = 50mA
ε1 = 2V
ε2 = 3V
r1 = r2 = 3 ohm

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a closed circuit.
I imposed the current verse as clockwise.

I go through the circuit as the verse of the current from a point "a" to the same point "a".
The difference of potential is always zero.

## -ε2 -ir_2 -iR -ir_1 +ε1 = 0 ##

I find the R.
But it is not the correct answer.
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
cseil said:
I go through the circuit as the verse of the current from a point "a" to the same point "a".
The difference of potential is always zero.

## -ε2 -ir_2 -iR -ir_1 +ε1 = 0 ##

I find the R.
But it is not the correct answer.
What am I doing wrong?
The signs of the emf of the batteries.

I don-t understand why.
ε2 has different verse than the current.

Your picture is unclear. Which are the positive and negative terminals of the batteries? What direction did you assume for the current? clockwise or anti-clocwise? Note that the battery with the greater emf determines the verse of the current. The current flows out from the positive terminal of that battery and flows in at the negative one.

For the current I assumed the verse as clockwise, as I said.
The problem is that I have just this drawing. I can't know anymore else about it.

I think there are three possible problems:

1) You made an error with the arithmetic. Check.

2) The book answer is wrong. It happens.

3) There is an error with the polarity of one of the batteries.

Try reversing the polarity of one of the batteries. It doesn't matter which one.

Last edited:
Usually, the long line represents the positive terminal of a battery. If the current flows clockwise, following the current, the potential increases by 3 V across battery 2 and decreases by 2 V through battery 1:
##-ε2 -ir_2 -iR -ir_1 +ε1 = 0##. If your teacher uses the other sign convention, the current flows anti-clockwise.
What did you get for R?
twocells2.JPG

If I consider the current as anticlockwise I get the following equation
## -\epsilon1 - ir1 - iR - ir2 +\epsilon2 = 0 ##
And the result is ok, R = 14 ohm.

The drawing was unclear, so I assume that the positive terminals of the batteries were above (the opposite of the circuit that ehild draw above).

Related to Calculating the value of R in a circuit

1. How do I calculate the value of R in a circuit?

To calculate the value of R in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amps. You can also use the formula R = P/I^2, where P is the power in watts.

2. What is the unit for resistance (R) in a circuit?

The unit for resistance (R) in a circuit is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm who first described the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

3. Can I use different units for voltage and current when calculating the value of R?

Yes, you can use different units for voltage and current as long as they are compatible. For example, if you use millivolts (mV) for voltage, you should use milliamps (mA) for current. The resulting value for R will be in ohms.

4. How do I find the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. For example, if you have three resistors with values of 10Ω, 20Ω, and 30Ω, the total resistance would be 60Ω (10Ω + 20Ω + 30Ω).

5. What is the relationship between resistance and current in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, resistance and current are inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases and vice versa. In other words, the higher the resistance in a circuit, the lower the current will be.