Calculating the volume in closed container?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the volume of a gas produced in a closed container after a reaction. The container initially has a volume of 0.125 mL and a pressure of 16.87 kPa at a temperature of 294.7k. After the reaction, the pressure increases to 87.19 kPa and the temperature becomes 296.4k. The group discusses using the combined gas law, but it is not applicable in this case. The professor suggests using a modified formula and the group realizes that they were given the necessary information. The final volume of the gas can be calculated using the mass, percentage, and molar weight of the reactant, as well as the pressure and temperature changes. The
takgt7
Hi,
I have a hard time calculating volume in a closed container.
Let's say, I have a flask with a volume 0.125ml, which is closed, and the pressure inside is 16.87kPa with temperature 294.7k and I did some reaction to create a gas inside the flask. The new pressure in the flask is 87.19kPa and the temperature is now 296.4k. I want to find the volume of the gas this reaction made, but I have no idea how to do it.

I tried to use combined law (PV/T=PV/T), but since its a closed system, i doesn't work.
Please help!(;_;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Volume of flask minus volume of non-gaseous stuff in it.
Care to be taken for porosity of reaction products.

A lot depends on the exact nature of the reaction, and how rigid the flask is.

Hello tgt, :welcome:

You want to order what you have available to solve this. (At the moment it's not a 'complete' problem). Perhaps the homework template helps:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[edit] I leave this to Simon.

takgt7 said:
Hi,
I have a hard time calculating volume in a closed container.
Let's say, I have a flask with a volume 0.125ml, which is closed, and the pressure inside is 16.87kPa with temperature 294.7k and I did some reaction to create a gas inside the flask. The new pressure in the flask is 87.19kPa and the temperature is now 296.4k. I want to find the volume of the gas this reaction made, but I have no idea how to do it.

I tried to use combined law (PV/T=PV/T), but since its a closed system, i doesn't work.
Please help!(;_;)
A flask with a volume of 0.125 mL is teeny tiny. Did you use tweezers to pick it up?

Likes BvU
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking of using modified form of PV/T = PV/T but wasn't working.
I asked the prof and he said to use
V = mCaCO3 · %CaCO3 · R/MWCaCO3 x R/(Pf ′/Tf − Pi ′/Ti)
, which i believe was given but I wansn't aware of.
Now I can just put in the values I have and get the V!
P.S the flask was 0.125L ;)

Thanks for your help
best,

So what was in the flask before generating the gas? The gas produced will have the volume available in the flask. Seems that you have some calcium carbonate. What do you do to it? Heat is up to release CO2? Or you add some reactant (acid maybe).

Likes Simon Bridge
takgt7 said:
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking of using modified form of PV/T = PV/T but wasn't working.
I asked the prof and he said to use
V = mCaCO3 · %CaCO3 · R/MWCaCO3 x R/(Pf ′/Tf − Pi ′/Ti)
, which i believe was given but I wansn't aware of.
Now I can just put in the values I have and get the V!
P.S the flask was 0.125L ;)

Thanks for your help
best,
We cannot help you unless you follow advise - you clearly have a specific problem in mind so please follow the advise in post #3.
Also remember: a lot depends on the exact nature of the reaction, and how rigid the flask is. This means that you have to supply that information.

FAQ: Calculating the volume in closed container?

1. How do you calculate the volume of a closed container?

To calculate the volume of a closed container, you need to measure the length, width, and height of the container in either inches, feet, or meters. Then, use the formula V = l x w x h, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for all three dimensions.

2. Can you calculate the volume of a closed container if it has an irregular shape?

Yes, you can still calculate the volume of a closed container with an irregular shape by using the water displacement method. Fill the container with water and measure the volume of water displaced. This will give you the volume of the container.

3. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume can vary depending on the system used. In the metric system, the standard unit is cubic meters (m^3), while in the imperial system, it is cubic inches (in^3) or cubic feet (ft^3).

4. How does the temperature of the container affect its volume?

The temperature of a closed container can affect its volume due to thermal expansion. When the temperature increases, the molecules in the container move faster and take up more space, leading to an increase in volume. Similarly, a decrease in temperature can cause a decrease in volume.

5. What is the difference between volume and capacity?

Volume and capacity are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings. Volume refers to the amount of space occupied by an object, while capacity refers to the maximum amount of something that a container can hold. For example, a jar may have a volume of 1 liter, but its capacity may be 2 liters.