Calculating the Wattage Usage of a 60-Watt Light Bulb in Three Hours

In summary, a 60-watt light bulb will use 180 watts in three hours. However, asking how many watts it uses in an hour is a nonsensical question, as watts are a measure of power, which is a rate of energy usage. Sensible questions would be how many kilowatt-hours or joules it uses in three hours. It is not possible to convert kilowatt-hours into amps as they are different units of measurement. Watts and amps both stay constant and do not change with time, but to find the amps, you would need to know the voltage or resistance. Additionally, the conversion from watts to amps may differ depending on the country.
marshall4
How may watts does a 60-watt light bulb use in three hours?

60*3=180watts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Watts are a measure of power. Power is a rate of energy usage. "How many watts used in an hour?", is a nonsensical question.

Sensible questions would be:

-How many kilowatt-hours does a 60 watt bulb use in 3 hours?

-How many joules does a 60 watt bulb use in 3 hours?

Keeping in mind that a watt is 1 joule per second.

Njorl

How many kilowatt-hours does a 60 watt bulb use in 3 hours?

how can i convert that to amps?

Originally posted by marshall4
How many kilowatt-hours does a 60 watt bulb use in 3 hours?

You can't.

60 watts for 3 hours is 60 * 3 = 180 watt-hours. That's the same as 0.180 kilowatt-hours.

Your next question, "how do I convert that [kilowatt-hours] into amps?" is as non-sensical as the first question.

- Warren

Amps = unit of current = rate of change of charge.

Volts = unit of electric potential

Joules = unit of energy.

Watt = unit of power = rate of change of energy

Kilowatt-Hours = Non-SI unit of energy

You cannot calculate current from power unless you know the voltage, or the resistance.

ya, I'm confused

Watts and amps are both rates. They both stay constant and do not change with time.

To find the amps, divide by the watts by 120.

They both stay constant and do not change with time.
Uh... hmm. This is true (as a simplification) in this case, but is not always true.

To find the amps, divide by the watts by 120.
Not neccessarily. Depends on the country.

Related to Calculating the Wattage Usage of a 60-Watt Light Bulb in Three Hours

What is the difference between wattage and lumens?

Wattage refers to the amount of energy a light bulb uses, while lumens refer to the amount of light output. A higher wattage does not necessarily mean a brighter light; instead, it indicates how much energy the bulb consumes. Lumens, on the other hand, directly measure the brightness of the light bulb.

How do I know which wattage is best for my light fixture?

The best wattage for your light fixture depends on the size and purpose of the room. A general rule of thumb is to multiply the square footage of the room by 1.5 to determine the ideal wattage. For example, a 100 square foot room would require a 150-watt bulb.

Can I use a higher wattage bulb than recommended for my fixture?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher wattage bulb than what is recommended for your fixture. This could lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire hazard. Always follow the recommended wattage for your light fixture.

What is the difference between incandescent and LED bulbs in terms of wattage?

Incandescent bulbs typically have higher wattage than LED bulbs because they produce light by heating a filament, which requires more energy. LED bulbs, on the other hand, use semiconductor technology to produce light and are more energy-efficient, requiring lower wattage to produce the same amount of light.

Do lower wattage bulbs save energy and money?

Yes, lower wattage bulbs can save energy and money. The lower the wattage, the less energy the bulb consumes, resulting in lower electricity bills. Additionally, using energy-efficient bulbs such as LED can also save money in the long run due to their longer lifespan.

Back