Calculating the work done on a decomposed solid

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of 1.0 mol CaCO3 (s) when heated to 800 degrees Celsius in a container fitted with a piston. The questions ask for the calculation of work done during complete decomposition at a constant external pressure of 1.0 atm, and the work done if the container was open to the atmosphere instead of having the piston. The conversation also mentions the equation for calculating work at a constant external pressure. The asker is unsure about the changes in volume and pressure during the decomposition and is seeking clarification on these factors.
laxgal12

Homework Statement

A sample consisting of 1.0 mol CaCO3 (s) was heated to 800 degrees Celsius, when it decomposed. The heating was carried out in a container fitted with a piston that was initially resting on the solid. (1) Calculate the work done during complete decomposition at 1.0atm. (2) What work would be done if insead of having a piston the container was open to the atmosphere?

Homework Equations

For (2), wconstant external pressure= -pexternal[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not clear about what's happening in this situation...when the CaCO3 is decomposing, I assume the volume is changing...but is the volume larger than when it was in its solid form, or smaller (due to the presence of the piston). Is the pressure on the piston changing? To what does the 1.0 atm refer to- is that a constant pressure on the piston, or only refer to the pressure at which the decomposition takes place, and then th pressure changes?
Once I understand what's actually happening with regard to this decomposition, I can select the correct equations, so I don't really need anyone to 'solve' this problem for me- I just am having difficulty understanding what's changing, what's staying the same, in what direction the change is occurring, etc.

Thank you very much for your time and effort =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the reaction of carbonate decomposition, that should give you a hint.

it is important to have a clear understanding of the system and variables involved in order to accurately calculate the work done. In this case, the system is a sample of CaCO3 (s) undergoing decomposition at a constant pressure of 1.0 atm. The container is fitted with a piston, which means that the volume of the system is constant. The temperature is the only variable that is changing, as the sample is heated to 800 degrees Celsius.

For (1), we can use the equation w = -PΔV to calculate the work done. Since the volume is constant, the work done is equal to the change in pressure multiplied by the change in volume. In this case, the volume remains constant, so the work done is 0.

For (2), we can use the equation w = -PΔT to calculate the work done. Since the container is open to the atmosphere, the pressure is not constant, but the temperature change is the same as in (1). Therefore, the work done would be equal to the change in pressure (from 1.0 atm to atmospheric pressure) multiplied by the change in temperature (from 800 degrees Celsius to room temperature).

In summary, the work done in both cases is dependent on the change in pressure and temperature. However, the presence of the piston in (1) results in a constant volume, while the lack of a piston in (2) allows for a change in volume. It is important to consider all variables and their effects on the system in order to accurately calculate the work done.

Related to Calculating the work done on a decomposed solid

What is the definition of "work" in terms of a decomposed solid?

In physics, work is defined as the measure of the energy transferred to or from a system by a force acting on the system. In the case of a decomposed solid, this would refer to the energy required to break down the solid into its individual components.

How is the work done on a decomposed solid calculated?

The work done on a decomposed solid can be calculated using the equation W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This can also be represented using the integral W = ∫ F(x) dx, where F(x) is the force function and dx is the infinitesimal distance.

What factors affect the amount of work done on a decomposed solid?

The amount of work done on a decomposed solid is affected by the force applied, the distance over which the force is applied, and the properties of the solid itself (such as its strength and composition). Additionally, the method used to decompose the solid (e.g. mechanical, chemical) may also impact the amount of work required.

Can the work done on a decomposed solid be negative?

Yes, the work done on a decomposed solid can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This would indicate that energy is being transferred from the system back to the surroundings.

What are some real-world applications of calculating the work done on a decomposed solid?

Calculating the work done on a decomposed solid is important in various industries, such as mining and construction, where breaking down solids is a common task. It is also relevant in fields such as material science and chemistry, where understanding the energy required for decomposition can help in designing and optimizing processes. Additionally, this concept is important in understanding the mechanics of natural phenomena, such as erosion and weathering.

Back