Calculating theoretical datarate for 802.11 standards

• Thread starter Tjvelcro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theoretical
In summary: Mb not MB right?In summary, the conversation is about finding the theoretical data rates for 802.11 a, b, g, and n standards. The formula C = 2Blog2M is suggested for calculation, where C is the data rate in bps, B is the channel bandwidth in hz, and M is the number of voltage levels or signal elements. However, after plugging in the values for 802.11a, the calculated data rate is much higher than the official data rate listed on Wikipedia. It is mentioned that there are other factors such as protocol overhead and sharing the air with other devices that may affect the actual data rate. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using the 802.11 standards
Tjvelcro
Hi all,

I need some help finding the thoeretical data rates for 802.11 a, b, g, n standards. I think I should use the following equation...

C = 2Blog2M

C = data rate in bps, B = channel bandwidth in hz, M = # of voltage levels or # signal elements

For instance I look up the channel bandwidth for 802.11a and find its 16.6Mhz (20Mhz total) and its modulated with BPSK so its # of signal elements is 2. After I put them into the formula above I get...

C = 2(1660000)log22 = 33200000 = 33.2Mb/s

Which is way to high according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11a it should be around 12Mb/s. Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? Thanks for reading!

Tjvelcro

Technology news on Phys.org
Mb not MB right?

So it looks like you're just giving the maximum bandwidth for an 802.11 transmitter, right? But the real protocol won't attain that maximum or I expect even get anywhere near. There is overhead to the protocol. 802.11 will afaik not saturate the entire 802.11 band but rather must share the air with other 802.11 devices and indeed other devices of totally different types. All this stuff will tend to cut down on how much you can exploit the band. And 11g and 11n do have a much higher maximum data rate than 11a. It looks to me like there is not anything wrong with your calculation but rather it may be you are calculating something different from what the "official" 802.11 maximum data rate is trying to represent.

Have you looked at the 802.11 standards (they're linked from the wikipedia page on 802.11)? Maybe they contain discussion of how the data rate number is reached.

Sorry for the late reply...

Oh ok that makes sense there are many factors that could be effecting the potential for the datarate to reach that high. I will probably explain that in my work. Any idea about 802.11b which uses CCK (Complementary code keying) what M value to use? Thanks!

Tjvelcro

Related to Calculating theoretical datarate for 802.11 standards

1. What is the theoretical datarate for 802.11 standards?

The theoretical datarate for 802.11 standards varies depending on the specific standard being used. For example, 802.11a has a theoretical datarate of 54 Mbps, while 802.11ac has a theoretical datarate of 6.93 Gbps.

2. How is the theoretical datarate calculated for 802.11 standards?

The theoretical datarate is calculated using the modulation and coding scheme (MCS) index, which takes into account the number of spatial streams, modulation type, and coding rate used in the transmission. The higher the MCS index, the higher the theoretical datarate.

3. What factors can affect the actual datarate in 802.11 networks?

The actual datarate in 802.11 networks can be affected by various factors such as signal strength, interference from other devices, distance between the device and the access point, and the number of devices connected to the network. The actual datarate is typically lower than the theoretical datarate due to these factors.

4. Can the theoretical datarate be achieved in real-world 802.11 networks?

The theoretical datarate is a maximum achievable datarate under ideal conditions and is often not achievable in real-world 802.11 networks. The actual datarate is typically lower due to factors such as signal attenuation and interference.

5. How does the theoretical datarate differ between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies in 802.11 standards?

The theoretical datarate is higher for 5 GHz frequencies compared to 2.4 GHz frequencies in 802.11 standards. This is because 5 GHz has a wider bandwidth compared to 2.4 GHz, allowing for a higher number of spatial streams and thus a higher theoretical datarate.