Calculating Thermal Coefficient of a Resistor: Tips and Advice

In summary, an engineering student working on co-op ran into a problem involving a resistor placed in free space with 10W of electrical power. They need to find the thermal coefficient for the transmission of thermal energy to the air from the aluminium outer casing. After recording temperatures from six thermocouples, they are looking for a method to convert surface temperature to power. However, in the real world, there are many losses to consider such as sound, vibration, and thermal loss in wires and leads. Ultimately, the thermal coefficient of a resistor is the power divided by the temperature difference. It is important to note that nothing is 100% efficient and the efficiency of a heater is a complex question.
DJJB
So I am an engineering student working on co-op and I ran into a problem.

805F%20SERIES.jpg

I have a resistor like the image above. I placed this resistor in free space, leads in vertical position (Ambient: 296K ) and I placed 10W of electrical power into it. What I need to find is the thermal coefficient (How much thermal energy is transmitted to the air from the aluminium outer casing)

I placed 6 thermocouples, one on each side and recorded the following temperatures:

Front: 442K
Back: 486K
Sides x 2: 462K
Bottom: 453K

Is anyone aware of a method to convert surface temperature of a given solid to power? So far I have only come across thermal conductivity which is dependent on thickness. Hopefully there is an easier solution which one of you may know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the power radiated from it - it has to equal the electrical power you put into it.

The thermal coeff is normally given in terms of temperature difference per power (or the other way around)

NobodySpecial said:
You know the power radiated from it - it has to equal the electrical power you put into it.

The thermal coeff is normally given in terms of temperature difference per power (or the other way around)

Ideally, Yes. But in the real world there are ALOT of losses associated with this such as sound, vibration, thermal loss in the wires and leads and so on. Nothing is 100% efficient.

All of which must end up as thermal energy anyway - but that doesn't matter

The thermal coef of a resistor is power/temp-difference (or the other way up)

Nothing is 100% efficient.
No machine is 100% - whether this applies to a heater is a surprisingly tricky question

I would suggest using the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the power emitted by the surface of the resistor. This law states that the power radiated by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. Since the resistor is not a perfect blackbody, you will need to use the emissivity factor to adjust the calculation. The power emitted by the surface can then be compared to the input power of 10W to determine the efficiency of the resistor in converting electrical energy to thermal energy. Additionally, you can use the thermal resistance equation to calculate the amount of heat transferred from the resistor to the surrounding air. This will give you an idea of the thermal coefficient and how much thermal energy is transmitted to the air from the aluminium outer casing. I also recommend consulting with your co-op supervisor or a thermal engineering expert for further guidance and assistance.

Related to Calculating Thermal Coefficient of a Resistor: Tips and Advice

1. What is surface temperature to watts?

Surface temperature to watts is a measurement that relates the surface temperature of an object to the amount of heat energy it radiates per unit area. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to quantify the temperature of an object based on the amount of heat it emits.

2. How is surface temperature to watts calculated?

The calculation for surface temperature to watts involves using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the power emitted by a blackbody per unit area is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This means that the higher the surface temperature of an object, the more watts it will emit.

3. What is the significance of using surface temperature to watts?

Using surface temperature to watts allows scientists and engineers to better understand the energy output of objects and how it is affected by changes in temperature. It is also a useful tool for predicting the behavior of various materials and systems in different environments.

4. Can surface temperature to watts be used for all types of objects?

No, surface temperature to watts is specifically used for objects that emit thermal radiation, such as stars, planets, and heated materials. It cannot be accurately applied to objects that do not emit thermal radiation, such as non-heated metals or materials.

5. What are some practical applications of surface temperature to watts?

Surface temperature to watts is commonly used in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and engineering. It can be used to study the temperatures of celestial bodies, monitor climate change, and design efficient heating or cooling systems for buildings and machinery.