Calculating Thermal Energy of Hot Air Flow

In summary, to calculate the thermal energy of hot air or exhaust air from a chimney, you need to multiply the mass flow rate by the specific internal energy, which is a function of temperature. The temperature difference refers to the difference between the exhaust temperature and the intake temperature, but if you just want the thermal energy of the exhaust, you can use the exhaust temperature.
wat681
haw can i calculate the thermal energy (watt or BTU ) of the hot air (or the exhaust air of the chimney) according to the following :

Temp. : 250 C
hot air flow rate : 11 000 m3/h

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to multiply the mass flow rate by the specific internal energy.

Mass flow rate equals the volumetric flow rate times the density, which is a function of pressure and temperature. Specific internal energy is a function of pressure and temperature, or just a function of temperature for an ideal gas.

You alsoneed to subtract the temp of the outside air.

thanks for reply
i got the following formula for the thermal energy :

Flow rate (m3/h) * Density (Kg/m3) * specific energy (KJ/Kg K) * temp. deference (K)

my question , what is the temperature deference ? is it between the hot air and the atmosphere temperature ?
because i don't want to heat this air i Have the hot air at 200 C and want to calculate the thermal energy of it

thanks

If you just want the thermal energy of the exhaust, do what I originally said. You need to multiply the mass flow rate by the specific internal energy [kJ/kg], which is just a function of the temperature for an ideal gas (u=2.5*R*T for a diatomic gas). The temperature you should use is the exhaust temperature.

Now, on the other hand, if you are looking for the heat from combustion, you can apply the first law for an open system and find the Q=m_dot*(h_out-h_in)=m_dot*c_p*(T_out-T_in), where T_in would be the intake temperature, and T_out would be the exhaust temperature and this is likely the temperature difference russ was referring to. But it sounds like that is not what you are looking for, so just refer to my original response.

FAQ: Calculating Thermal Energy of Hot Air Flow

1. How is thermal energy of hot air flow calculated?

The thermal energy of hot air flow can be calculated by using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the thermal energy in Joules, m is the mass of the air in kilograms, c is the specific heat capacity of air (1.005 J/g·K), and ΔT is the change in temperature in degrees Celsius.

2. What factors affect the thermal energy of hot air flow?

The thermal energy of hot air flow is affected by the mass of the air, the temperature difference between the initial and final state, and the specific heat capacity of air. Other factors that may affect the thermal energy include the type of material the air is flowing through and any external sources of heat or cooling.

3. How do you measure the mass of air in hot air flow?

The mass of air in hot air flow can be measured using a scale or balance. The air can be collected in a container and then weighed, or the flow rate of the air can be measured and multiplied by the density of air (approximately 1.2 kg/m³ at room temperature) to determine the mass.

4. Can the thermal energy of hot air flow be negative?

Yes, the thermal energy of hot air flow can be negative if the air is cooling down or losing energy. This can happen if the initial temperature of the air is higher than the final temperature, or if the air is being used to cool a hotter object or space.

5. How is the specific heat capacity of air determined?

The specific heat capacity of air can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of a known mass of air when a known amount of thermal energy is added to it. The specific heat capacity can also be calculated using the formula c = Q / (mΔT).