Calculating Thermodynamic Heat and Work

In summary, the mole of ideal gas expands isothermally at 20°C against a constant pressure of 1 atm from 20 to 30L. The thermodynamic work done is -1013 Joules.
Youngster

Homework Statement

One mole of ideal gas expands isothermally at 20°C against a constant pressure of 1 atm from 20 to 30L. (1 atm = 1.013 x 105Pa; 1 m3 = 1000L

Find q, w, ΔE, and ΔH in Joules

Homework Equations

ΔE = q + w
w = -[itex]\int[/itex]PdV
H = E + PV

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for work using the second equation listed above. Since pressure is constant, I removed it from the integral and simply integrated the volume from 20L to 30L. This resulted in -10 atm x L.

Converting that to Joules using the conversion factors given, I obtained -1013 J as the thermodynamic work.

But then how do I obtain the thermodynamic heat?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to figure out the change in the internal energy of the gas, ##\Delta E##, considering it is ideal.

Okay, so what I'm getting is that since it's an isothermal process, the change in internal energy is 0.

That would mean q is just the reverse of w. Does this sound right? That would mean this is reversible too, yes?

Youngster said:
Okay, so what I'm getting is that since it's an isothermal process, the change in internal energy is 0.

That would mean q is just the reverse of w. Does this sound right?
Yes. Just to be clear, the energy lost by the gas as it does work is compensated by heat coming in from the environment.

Youngster said:
That would mean this is reversible too, yes?
I guess that it is reasonable to assume that this is the result of a slow (quasistatic) process, for the temperature to be maintained constant during the entire process, and therefore it is reversible.

Ah yes, thank you.

I have one more item I'd like to clarify.

I have two equation for thermodynamic work listed in my notes.

1. w = -∫PdV
2. w = -nRT ln[itex]\frac{V_{2}}{V_{2}}[/itex]

I used the first equation to obtain -1013J, but the second equation provides a different value of -987.7J. This is a pretty significant difference, so I'm curious what the differences between the equations are, if any.

I didn't pay enough attention to the original statement. The situation described is simply impossible: an ideal gas cannot expand when both temperature and pressure are held constant. Obviously, since ##PV = nR T##, ##V## can't change if ##P##, ##T##, and ##n## are all kept constant.

Otherwise, you get equation 2 from equation 1 by replacing ##P## by ##n R T/V##, and then integrating over ##V## for ##T## constant. Equation 2 is therefore useful for isothermal processes (for an ideal gas only).

Related to Calculating Thermodynamic Heat and Work

1. How do you calculate heat and work in a thermodynamic process?

In thermodynamics, heat and work are two forms of energy transfer. To calculate heat, you need to know the change in temperature, the specific heat capacity of the substance, and the mass of the substance. Heat (Q) = mass (m) x specific heat capacity (c) x change in temperature (ΔT). To calculate work, you need to know the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied. Work (W) = force (F) x distance (d).

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics is the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

3. How do you calculate the change in internal energy in a thermodynamic process?

The change in internal energy (ΔU) is equal to the heat added to the system (Q) minus the work done by the system (W). ΔU = Q - W. This is known as the first law of thermodynamics.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy transfer, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a substance. Heat is measured in joules (J) and temperature is measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to heat and work?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost as heat. This means that no process can be 100% efficient - some energy will always be lost as heat. This is why it is impossible to create a perpetual motion machine, as it would violate the second law of thermodynamics.