Calculating Tightrope Tension with Waves: Circus Performer Homework Solution

In summary, a circus performer wants to find the tension in a tightrope by sending a wave along it from one tower to another. Using the equation v = d/t, they determine the speed of the wave to be 22.72m/s. They then use the equation T = v^2(mu) to solve for tension, but they make a mistake in the value of mu. The correct value is 0.225 kg/m, not 0.255 kg/m. After correcting this error, the tension is found to be 116.15N.
sun

Homework Statement

A circus performer stretches a tightrope between two towers. He strikes one end of the rope and sends a wave along it toward the other tower. He notes that it takes the wave 0.880 s to reach the opposite tower, 20.0 m away. If a 1 meter length of the rope has a mass of 0.255 kg, find the tension in the tightrope.

Homework Equations

v-f(lambda)
v=sqrt.(tension/mu)
mu=mass per unit length
tension=mg
f=1/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for wave speed using v=f(lambda)
f=1/T=1/.88s=1.136Hz
Delta(x)=lambda=20m, so 20m x 1.136=22.72m/s

Tension=v^2(mu) = (22.72)^2(.225/20) or (22.72)^2(.225/1) ??

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sun said:
I solved for wave speed.
f=1/T=1/.88s=1.136Hz
Delta(x)=lambda=20m, so 20mX1.136=22.72m/s
I'm not following all that calculation. You are not given any data about f, T, or lambda.

The speed can be found simply by v = d/t = 20/.88 = 22.72m/s.

Tension=v^2(mu) = (22.72)^2(.225/20) or (22.72)^2(.225/1) ??
.225 kg is the mass of a 1 m section; so mu = mass/length = .225 kg/m.

i don't know what I'm doing wrong when i use 22.72 to calculate the tension in the rope using: v=sqrt.(tension/mu)

maybe I'm calculating mu incorrectly? any ideas?

thank you very much

sun said:
maybe I'm calculating mu incorrectly? any ideas?
You used two versions of mu. One is right; one is wrong.

from what I've read i believe mu=.225 is the correct one. Because that is the mass for every 1 meter of string. Regardless of the mu I've been using i still get an incorrect answer.

this is why I'm still a bit confused.

thank you

suggestions as to what i may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

i get 116.15N when i solve for tension, but this is wrong.

I could really use some help as soon as possible, please.

thank you

typo!

sun said:
i get 116.15N when i solve for tension, but this is wrong.
Here's the likely problem: In your first post you state the mass as 0.255 kg, but in later posts you use 0.225 kg. Recalculate the answer using the correct value.

Pure Genius! :P

At the rate i was going, i definitely would not have noticed that. :(

thank you

Related to Calculating Tightrope Tension with Waves: Circus Performer Homework Solution

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or string, when the ends are pulled in opposite directions. It is measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds.

2. How does tension affect waves?

Tension can affect waves in several ways. In a medium such as a rope, tension can cause a wave to travel faster or slower depending on the strength of the tension. Tension can also cause waves to reflect or refract when they encounter a boundary between two mediums.

3. What is the relationship between tension and frequency?

The relationship between tension and frequency is known as the inverse proportionality. This means that as tension increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in musical instruments, where tightening or loosening the strings affects the pitch of the sound produced.

4. How is tension used in practical applications?

Tension is used in various practical applications, such as in the construction of bridges and suspension cables. Tension is also important in the field of acoustics, where it is used in the design of musical instruments and sound systems.

5. How does tension impact the behavior of waves in different mediums?

Tension can greatly impact the behavior of waves in different mediums. In solids, tension can cause waves to travel faster and with more stability. In liquids, tension can cause waves to travel slower and with less stability. In gases, tension does not have a significant effect on wave behavior.