Calculating Time and Angle in 3D Spring System | Landau Method

In summary, the student is struggling to understand the relationship between energy and angular momentum. He is trying to find a simpler solution to the problem, but is having trouble understanding how to do it. He is also having trouble understanding why the two methods he tried gave different results.
diegzumillo

Homework Statement

This is a pretty simple system but I'm supposed to use the methods described in Landau (equations below), which are integrables derived from energy conservation and angular momentum conservation.

Homework Equations

[tex]T=2∫_{r_{min}}^{r_{max}} \frac {dr}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{\mu}(E-\frac{k}{2}r²)-\frac{L^2}{\mu ^2r^2}}}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta \phi=∫_{r_{min}}^{r_{max}} \frac {Ldr/r^2}{\sqrt{2\mu (E-\frac{k}{2}r²)-\frac{L^2}{r^2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't tried the second integral yet but the first one is giving me a headache so I decided to ask for some guidance. My best solution so far (I had more, who knows which one is right, if any) is
[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{k}}coth^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{\mu E^2-L^2}{kL^2+\mu E^2}} [/tex]
This is weird. it's the time it takes from [itex]r_{min}[/itex] to [itex]r_{max}[/itex], it should be [itex]2\pi\sqrt{\frac{\mu }{k}}[/itex], right? And it's not well defined for every value of E and L, here's a plot:
http://i.minus.com/ievUWK70xYyxT.png
Makes sense, the energy cannot go below the minimum of the effective potential, which depends on the angular momentum. Well, this may be a consequence of being sleep deprived but I can't wrap my head around this.
Intuitively I know what's happening, I know this is an integrable system but it can also have a dense phase space, never closing on itself. I thought that maybe the complexity of the integral was a reflex of that. I would buy all that, the dependence of the period with the angular momentum etc. If it weren't for the fact that I can solve this system in a much simpler way by writing the Lagrangian in cartesian coordinates, where I can clearly see the frequency and period and they are much simpler than that.

So, why are these two methods giving me different results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I still don't completely understand the energy / angular momentum relation along T=0,
but,
When L=0, you do get ur expected period, since coth(2*pi) = 1 there.
How is the rotating problem simpler in Cartesian coords?

That result is wrong! I remade the integral and got the right result.
In cartesian coordinates you can solve the system straight from the Lagrangian, the solution is simply
[itex]x=A cos(\omega t +\phi_x)[/itex]
and equivalently for y.
So we know the period. The [itex]\Delta \phi[/itex] is slightly more complicated to interpretate in this particular case, usually we have a curve similar to an ellipse but it could have arms and might not even be closed, delta phi gives us this shift. In this problem the delta phi is pi. Sorry I can't give more details, I'm kind of in a hurry (got an extra 24 hours to solve the problem set :P)

Yes, I just got out of the shower where I also realized that result must be wrong, mainly because coth(2*pi) does not equal 1! (2*pi was close enuf to infinity for me and my calculator to conclude that odd result.) thus my struggle to make sense of the T=0 relation! And, yes, I now see the Cartesian Lagrangian would just give two separate simple harmonic oscillators with solutions as you mentioned (L&L sec 23 problem 3), and the path is closed for the space oscillator here as mentioned in L&L sec 14.

As a scientist, it is important to consider all possible explanations for discrepancies in results. In this case, it is possible that there is an error in your calculation or in the equations provided in the Landau method. It is also possible that the two methods are actually equivalent and can be shown to produce the same result with further analysis. It may be helpful to consult with your peers or a mentor to discuss your approach and results and to troubleshoot any potential errors. Additionally, further research and experimentation can help to clarify the differences between the two methods and provide a deeper understanding of the system.

Related to Calculating Time and Angle in 3D Spring System | Landau Method

1. What is a simple spring in 3d space?

A simple spring in 3d space is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and allowed to move in three-dimensional space. The spring is responsible for restoring the mass to its equilibrium position when it is displaced, and its behavior can be described using mathematical equations.

2. What are the factors that affect the behavior of a simple spring in 3d space?

The behavior of a simple spring in 3d space is affected by several factors, including the spring's stiffness, the mass of the attached object, and the initial displacement of the mass. The spring constant, or stiffness, determines the force required to stretch or compress the spring, while the mass affects the inertia of the system. The initial displacement determines the amplitude and direction of the oscillations.

3. How does a simple spring in 3d space exhibit harmonic motion?

A simple spring in 3d space exhibits harmonic motion because the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal motion where the mass oscillates back and forth around its equilibrium position. The period and frequency of the motion depend on the mass and spring constant.

4. How do external forces affect the motion of a simple spring in 3d space?

External forces such as friction, air resistance, and applied forces can affect the motion of a simple spring in 3d space. These forces can dampen the oscillations of the mass and change its amplitude or period. In some cases, external forces can also cause the mass to move in a different direction from its original oscillations.

5. What are some real-life applications of a simple spring in 3d space?

A simple spring in 3d space has many practical applications, including shock absorbers in vehicles, springs in watches and clocks, and suspension systems in buildings and bridges. They are also used in measuring devices, such as spring scales and force gauges. Additionally, simple springs in 3d space are used in research and experiments to study the principles of harmonic motion and the effects of external forces on a system.